Cyclic and non proper subgroups

• Thread starter Bellarosa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cyclic
In summary, the conditions for a group with no proper subgroup to be cyclic are that for any non-identity element a belonging to G, if an= e for some n, then {a, a2, ..., an-1, an= e} is a subgroup of G. The smallest such n for any a would be 1, indicating that the group itself would consist of elements of infinite order. An example of a cyclic group with no proper subgroups is any group of prime order. This is proven through Langrange's Theorem, stating that if a group has no proper subgroup, it must be cyclic. The proof provided is valid, as it shows that for any non-identity element a, <a> is a
Bellarosa
1. What is/are the condition for a group with no proper subgroup to be cyclic?

Homework Equations

3. this is just a general qustion I am asking in oder to prove something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let a be non-identity member of G. If for some n, an= e, then {a, a2, ..., an-1, an= e} is a subgroup of G.

Now if G has no proper subgroups what is the smallest such n for any a? What does that tell you about G?

I don't quite understand, but I'm guessing the smallest such n would be 1... can you give me an example of a Group with non proper subgroups

I think I figurd it out ...the smallest of such n would be distinct , the group itself would bconsist of elements of infinite order... I still need an example of a Cyclic group with non proper subgroups

Do you really understand what you are asking? Any group of prime order has no proper subgroup.

Not quite...Ok this is my problem:
If G has noroper subgroups, prove that G is cyclic.

Proof:
If G has no proper subgroup then |G|= p. For any nonidentity element a belonging to G, <a> is a subgroup of order greater than 1. By Langrange's Theorem, since |a|divides |G| |a| = p therefore, <a> = G and G is a cyclic group of order p.

Does this proof make sense? In your first question I sain that the smallest scuh n is 1 hence the reason why I said that |a| must be greater than one...I'm notre if my proof is correct but does it make sense?

Related to Cyclic and non proper subgroups

What is a cyclic subgroup?

A cyclic subgroup is a subgroup of a group that can be generated by a single element. This means that all the elements in the subgroup can be written as powers of the generator element.

What is a non proper subgroup?

A non proper subgroup is a subgroup of a group that is not equal to the whole group. In other words, it is a subgroup that does not contain all the elements of the original group.

What is the order of a cyclic subgroup?

The order of a cyclic subgroup is the number of elements in the subgroup. This is equal to the number of times the generator element needs to be multiplied by itself to obtain the identity element.

How can you determine if a subgroup is cyclic?

A subgroup is cyclic if it can be generated by a single element. This means that all the elements in the subgroup can be written as powers of this generator element.

Can a non proper subgroup be cyclic?

Yes, a non proper subgroup can be cyclic if it is generated by a single element. However, not all non proper subgroups are cyclic.