Cutnell Physics 9th ed vs 10th ed?

In summary: Well I would've waited but I did that last semester and ended up needing the book right away so I was worried that would happen again. Anyway, it seems like my professor doesn't use the wiley program for homework because he said he'll be giving out homework once a week.
kokodile
Hey everyone. I need the Physics book by Cutnell and Johnson 10th edition with the WileyPlus access code for my physics class, but I was wondering how different the 9th and 10th editiions are if anybody has access to both. I was able to download the 9th edition for free off of Scribd and all of the chapters/sections are titled exactly the same, but I'm worried the practice/homework questions might be different. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
kokodile said:
Hey everyone. I need the Physics book by Cutnell and Johnson 10th edition with the WileyPlus access code for my physics class, but I was wondering how different the 9th and 10th editiions are if anybody has access to both. I was able to download the 9th edition for free off of Scribd and all of the chapters/sections are titled exactly the same, but I'm worried the practice/homework questions might be different. Thanks

Why don't you wait to see what the instructor is going to use the WileyPlus for/read the syllabus. If there is electronic homework, it's likely you'll need the code which probably comes with a Eversion of the text if you buy it from their website. If your instructor doesn't assign homework, wants physical homework, simply suggests problems, etc. then you'll be okay.

Haven't ever read the book, but most of the edition changes just move questions around, change the numbers, maybe adds a couple of more. There's no reason for 10 editions of an introductory mechanics book, other than to make money for the publisher.

FYI, It's also not good form to go around saying you pirated the book. That's slightly illegal, if you didn't know.

If the class requires an online access code, then homework will most likely be done on the website that requires the access code. Sometimes it is cheaper purchasing the access code separately and getting an older edition of the book. Sometimes its cheaper buying the access code that is bundled with the book.

Student100 said:
Why don't you wait to see what the instructor is going to use the WileyPlus for/read the syllabus. If there is electronic homework, it's likely you'll need the code which probably comes with a Eversion of the text if you buy it from their website. If your instructor doesn't assign homework, wants physical homework, simply suggests problems, etc. then you'll be okay.

Haven't ever read the book, but most of the edition changes just move questions around, change the numbers, maybe adds a couple of more. There's no reason for 10 editions of an introductory mechanics book, other than to make money for the publisher.

FYI, It's also not good form to go around saying you pirated the book. That's slightly illegal, if you didn't know.
Well I would've waited but I did that last semester and ended up needing the book right away so I was worried that would happen again. Anyway, it seems like my professor doesn't use the wiley program for homework because he said he'll be giving out homework once a week.

Thanks for the tip on posting about my download. It wasn't a torrent so I guess I thought it was okay.

Related to Cutnell Physics 9th ed vs 10th ed?

What are the main differences between the 9th and 10th editions of Cutnell Physics?

The main differences between the 9th and 10th editions of Cutnell Physics are the inclusion of new content, revisions to existing content, and changes in the order of chapters. The 10th edition includes new material on modern physics and updated examples and problems. Some chapters have been reorganized and topics have been added or removed.

Which edition is more suitable for beginners in physics?

The 10th edition is more suitable for beginners in physics as it includes updated examples and problems, as well as a new chapter on modern physics. The revisions and changes in content make it more relevant to current topics and technology in the field of physics.

Are there any significant changes in the format or layout of the 10th edition?

There are no significant changes in the format or layout of the 10th edition compared to the 9th edition. Both editions follow a similar structure and use the same types of diagrams and illustrations. However, the 10th edition may have some minor changes in the design and layout for readability and clarity.

Is the 9th edition still relevant for learning physics?

Yes, the 9th edition is still relevant for learning physics. While the 10th edition may have updated content, the fundamental principles and concepts of physics remain the same. If you already have the 9th edition, it can still be a valuable resource for learning and understanding physics.

Which edition is recommended for advanced study in physics?

The 10th edition is recommended for advanced study in physics as it includes new material on modern physics and updated examples and problems. These additions make it more relevant and up-to-date for advanced topics and research in the field of physics.