Cut the String - Energy and Friction

In summary, the force of friction acts through a displacement d in the same direction as the force, so W^{NC}_{f,i} = \int_{0}^{d} \vec{f^k_{box,block}} \cdot d\vec{r} = f^k_{box,block}d.
FredericChopin

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/FZM5gqC,RlLeGmP#1
http://imgur.com/FZM5gqC,RlLeGmP#0

Homework Equations

[itex]f^k_{AB} = \mu_k N_{AB}[/itex]

[itex]W_{f,i} = \int_{r_i}^{r_f} \vec{F} \cdot d\vec{r}[/itex]

[itex]E^{mech}_f = E^{mech}_i + W^{NC}_{f,i}[/itex]

[itex]U_{elastic} = \frac{1}{2} k x^2[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the blocks are at rest after the release of the spring, the final mechanical energy, [itex]E^{mech}_f[/itex], is 0. The initial mechanical energy, [itex]E^{mech}_i[/itex], is the elastic potential energy of the spring ([itex]U_{elastic} = \frac{1}{2} k x^2[/itex]). There are no external non-conservative forces acting on the box-block-spring system, but there is the internal non-conservative force of kinetic friction acting on the box and block ([itex]W^{NC}_{f,i} = \int_{r_i}^{r_f} \vec{f^k_{AB}} \cdot d\vec{r}[/itex]). The force of kinetic friction acts through a displacement [itex]d[/itex] in the same direction as force, so [itex]W^{NC}_{f,i} = \int_{0}^{d} \vec{f^k_{box,block}} \cdot d\vec{r} = f^k_{box,block}d[/itex].

Let's consider the system of the box, the block, and the spring.

The final mechanical energy of this system will be:

[itex]E^{mech}_f = E^{mech}_i + W^{NC}_{f,i}[/itex]

Substituting in terms:

[itex]0 = U_{elastic} + f^k_{box,block}d[/itex]

, which becomes:

[itex]0 = \frac{1}{2} k x^2 + \mu_k N_{box,block}d[/itex]

The block is not accelerating in the vertical direction, and so due to Newton's Second Law, [itex]N_{box,block}[/itex] must be equal in magnitude to [itex]m_{box}g[/itex]:

[itex]0 = \frac{1}{2} k x^2 + \mu_k m_{box}gd[/itex]

Solving for [itex]\mu_k[/itex] yields:

[itex]\mu_k = \frac{-kx^2}{2m_{box}gd}[/itex]

It's strange that there is a negative sign in the answer as [itex]\mu_k[/itex] should be a positive scalar. It also turns out this answer is incorrect.

What went wrong?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
My opinion:
Your calculation is like that the L-shape block is fixed on the floor.
Besides, the sign of ##\mu_k## is usually positive for its just a ratio between ##f_k## and ##N.## That is, your relation may turn to:
$$U+W_f=0$$
$$\Rightarrow U-\int N\mu_k\cdot dr=0$$
The reason is obvious that we all know the friction does negative work here.

Last edited:
Which way does the force of friction act? Which way is the displacement vector? What is the sign of their dot product?

Related to Cut the String - Energy and Friction

1. What is "Cut the String - Energy and Friction" all about?

"Cut the String - Energy and Friction" is a scientific experiment that explores the relationship between energy and friction. It involves cutting a string attached to a weight and observing the motion of the weight to understand how energy is transferred and how friction affects the motion.

2. What materials are needed for the "Cut the String - Energy and Friction" experiment?

The materials needed for this experiment include a string, a weight, a ruler, a stopwatch, and a smooth surface such as a table or floor.

3. How do you set up the "Cut the String - Energy and Friction" experiment?

To set up the experiment, tie one end of the string to the weight and the other end to a fixed object such as a doorknob. Place the weight on the smooth surface and measure the distance between the weight and the fixed object. Use the stopwatch to time how long it takes for the weight to stop moving after the string is cut.

4. What can be learned from the "Cut the String - Energy and Friction" experiment?

This experiment can teach us about the concept of energy and how it is transferred through different forms. It also demonstrates the role of friction in slowing down the motion of an object.

5. How can the "Cut the String - Energy and Friction" experiment be applied in real life?

The principles learned from this experiment can be applied in various real-life situations, such as understanding the motion of objects on inclined planes or the braking system of a car. It can also be used to optimize energy usage and reduce friction in machines and equipment.