Curvilinear coordinate, derivative

In summary, the conversation discusses the curvilinear coordinate system and its relationship to the normal vector and isosurfaces. The use of unit vectors in this system is also mentioned, with a specific example of 2D polar coordinates. The gradient is seen to be normal to the surfaces of constant radius in this case.
kidsasd987
https://www.particleincell.com/2012/curvilinear-coordinates/
http://www.jfoadi.me.uk/documents/lecture_mathphys2_05.pdf
Hi, I have a question about the curvilineare coordinate system.
I wonder why
5Cpartial%5Cmathbf%7Br%7D%7D%3D%5Cfrac%7B1%7D%7Bh_i%7D%5Cmathbf%7Be%7D_i&bg=ffffff&fg=000000&s=0.png
is normal to the isosurfaces?isnt ei a tangent vector to the surface ui

since

"With these definitions, we can define the unit vector in the
latex.png
direction (basis vector)"
latex.png

Physics news on Phys.org
It might help to look at a specific example, and 2D polar coordinates is a good one to start with. Take ## u_1 = r ## and draw a picture of ## \frac{\partial \mathbf{r}}{\partial r} ## at some point. It points radially away from the origin. Now note that surfaces of constant ## r ## are just circles centered at the origin. The gradient is indeed normal to each such surface at the appropriate points.

Related to Curvilinear coordinate, derivative

What is a curvilinear coordinate system?

A curvilinear coordinate system is a mathematical coordinate system that uses curved axes to describe points in space. This is in contrast to a Cartesian coordinate system, which uses straight axes.

How is the derivative calculated in a curvilinear coordinate system?

The derivative in a curvilinear coordinate system is calculated using the chain rule, which is a method for finding the rate of change of a dependent variable with respect to an independent variable. It involves taking partial derivatives with respect to each coordinate and then multiplying them together.

What is the difference between a covariant and contravariant derivative?

A covariant derivative is a derivative that takes into account the curvature of the coordinate system, while a contravariant derivative does not. This means that a covariant derivative will change when the coordinate system is curved, while a contravariant derivative will remain the same.

Why are curvilinear coordinates useful in science?

Curvilinear coordinates are useful in science because they allow for a more accurate representation of curved surfaces and objects, which are common in many scientific fields such as physics, engineering, and geology. They also make it easier to solve complex mathematical equations involving curved surfaces.

What are some examples of curvilinear coordinate systems?

Some examples of curvilinear coordinate systems include spherical coordinates, cylindrical coordinates, and polar coordinates. These coordinate systems are frequently used in physics and engineering to describe the position of objects in space.