Curved mirror identification & magnification question

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnification and type of mirror used in a question involving an object 5.0 cm tall and an image 7.0 cm behind a mirror with a radius of curvature of 10.0 cm. The conversation suggests trying both positive and negative curvatures to determine the position of the object and concludes with an answer of 2.4 magnification and a concave virtual larger image.
lynchdemartin

Homework Statement

I can't seem to figure out whether I'm dealing with a + or - radius value. Anyways here's the question:
An object 5.0 cm tall produces an image that is 7.0 cm behind the mirror. If the radius of the curvature of this mirror is 10.0 cm, what is the magnification of the object? What kind of mirror is used?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm guessing it is either a virtual erected concave larger image or virtual erected convex smaller image. How can I solve for M in a question like this to find whether it's larger or smaller :S?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the focal length of the mirror?
Is the object closer or farther from the mirror than one focal length?

2 x focal length = radius.
so focal length is 10cm/2 = 5cm
However the confusing part for me is to find out whether the f is on the positive side or the negative side behind the mirror. Because you don't know what type of mirror right?

The only thing I know is that the object is right before it touches the mirror & it gives a virtual image because you have an image on the opposite side of the mirror. So I'm thinking the mirror is either like this http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/refln/u13l3d7.gif (concave virtual mirror) or it is like this http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/refln/u13l4a3.gif (convex virtual mirror)

Last edited by a moderator:
You know that the image is 7.00 cm behind the mirror. That means it is virtual. You also know the focal length. Why don't you try finding the position of the object with (a) positive curvature and (b) negative curvature. If it turns out that one of these is negative, then you know that it can't be right and the other one is.

hmm good point.

lynchdemartin said:
.. Or behind the mirror with the image between the mirror & the f point.
Don't be silly. When you look at yourself in a mirror (concave, convex or planar) is your face ever behind the mirror? :rolleyes:

anyways I think the answer is 2.4 magnification & it's a concave virtual larger image. Because like you said I shouldn't have a 2 negative d values. Thanks a lot for the help.

Related to Curved mirror identification & magnification question

1. How do you identify a curved mirror?

A curved mirror can be identified by its shape. It has a curved surface, unlike a flat or plane mirror. The curve can be either concave or convex, depending on the type of mirror.

2. What is the difference between a concave and convex mirror?

A concave mirror curves inward, like the inside of a spoon, while a convex mirror curves outward, like the back of a spoon. Concave mirrors can create real, inverted images, while convex mirrors create virtual, upright images.

3. How do you determine the magnification of a curved mirror?

The magnification of a curved mirror is determined by the ratio of the image height to the object height. For concave mirrors, the magnification can be calculated using the formula M = -i/o, where M is the magnification, i is the image distance, and o is the object distance.

4. Why is the image in a convex mirror always smaller than the object?

In a convex mirror, the reflected light rays diverge or spread out. This causes the image to appear smaller than the object. The further the object is from the mirror, the smaller the image will appear.

5. Can curved mirrors produce both real and virtual images?

Yes, curved mirrors can produce both real and virtual images depending on the position of the object relative to the focal point. When the object is placed beyond the focal point, a real image is produced. When the object is placed between the focal point and the mirror, a virtual image is produced.