Curve Perpendicular to Surface at Point

In summary, the given curve and surface intersect at the point (1,1,-2) and we want to prove that the curve is perpendicular to the surface at that point. To do so, we can take the Gradient of the surface evaluated at (1,1,-2) and show that it is parallel to the curve. Since the curve is already given in vector notation, we can use the cross product to determine if they are parallel. This will ultimately prove that the curve is perpendicular to the surface at the given point.
jegues

Homework Statement

It is known that the curve C,

[tex]x = 4t -2t^{2} -1, y = 2t^{3} - 1, z=3t^{2} -5[/tex]

and the surface,

[tex]x^{2}y + xz + 1 = 0[/tex]

intersect at the point (1,1,-2). You need NOT show this. Prove that the curve is perpendicular to the surface at the point.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to get my ideas straightened out before I can start attacking this one.

We want to show that the curve C is perpendicular to the surface at the point (1,1,-2).

If we stop and think about what we mean by perpendicular to the surface at a point, it means perpendicular to the tangent plane of that surface, at that point.

If we take the Gradient of the surface evaluated at the point we will get a vector that is perpendicular to the tangent plane of the surface at that point.

Now I think what I want to show is that the curve is pointing in the same(or opposite) direction of the Gradient of the surface at that point, thus the curve will also be perpendicular.

I could take the cross product between the Gradient of the surface and the curve, and if is this equals 0 then I know that they are parallel. But then again, I don't have a vector representation of the curve.

I think the part I'm confused about is how to represent my curve C in the form of a vector.

One can note that when t = 1, we obtain the point (1,1,-2) on the curve.

Do I have my ideas straight? Can anyone help me finish this one off?

Thanks again!

Physics news on Phys.org
But the curve is given in vector notation:

[tex] (4t-2t^2-1,2t^3-1,3t^2-5)[/tex]

For the rest, your reasoning seems good...

Related to Curve Perpendicular to Surface at Point

1. What is a curve perpendicular to a surface at a point?

A curve that is perpendicular to a surface at a point is a line that intersects the surface at that point at a 90-degree angle. It is also known as the normal line or normal vector at that point.

2. How is the curve perpendicular to a surface at a point calculated mathematically?

The curve perpendicular to a surface at a point can be calculated using the cross product of the surface's tangent vectors at that point. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the gradient of the surface's equation at that point.

3. What is the significance of a curve perpendicular to a surface at a point?

A curve perpendicular to a surface at a point is important because it represents the direction in which the surface is changing the fastest at that point. This information is useful in various applications, such as finding the direction of steepest descent or ascent on a terrain surface.

4. Can a curve be perpendicular to a surface at more than one point?

Yes, a curve can be perpendicular to a surface at multiple points. This is because a surface can have multiple tangent planes at different points, and each tangent plane can have a different normal vector, resulting in multiple curves that are perpendicular to the surface at different points.

5. How is the curve perpendicular to a surface at a point used in computer graphics?

In computer graphics, the curve perpendicular to a surface at a point is used for shading and lighting calculations. It helps determine the orientation of a surface at a point, which affects how light is reflected and how shadows are cast on the surface in a 3D rendering.