Curvature of flexible chain

In summary: D, as he only knows how to do so in 2D. He asks for guidance and suggestions, and poses the problem in a different manner by mentioning 6 points with known coordinates. He suggests one possible method of drawing circles through sets of 3 points, but is unsure how to obtain a circle from these points in 3D. He welcomes any other suggestions for computing the curvature. In summary, Chandan is seeking help with calculating the radii of curvature for a flexible polymer chain in 3D.
chandan
Dear all,

I was wondering how the radii of curvature can be calculated of a flexible chain (polymer chain). I have the x,y and z values of the polymer chain. For a 2D chain, I can calculate the curvature radii (http://www.intmath.com/applications-differentiation/8-radius-curvature.php). I am unable to extend it to 3D. Any help or guidance is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not clear what you mean when you want to extend radius of curvature to 3D.

Thanks for response SteamKing and micromass. Sorry for the unclear post.
Let me pose the problem in a little different manner.

Suppose, I have 6 points. Its coordinates x, y, and z are known. Say, (x1,y1,z1), (x2,y2,z2), …, (x6,y6,z6).
The aim is to compute its curvature.

One possible way, I can think is to consider the 3 points, and draw a circle that closely passes through these points. And then draw a circle for the next 3 set of points.

Now, these 3 points are lying in a plane. And I have x, y and z coordinates of these points. I do not know how to obtain a circle from these points. The circle also lies in the same plane.
Any suggestion on these would be very helpful.

If anyone can share other ways to compute the curvature, it would be fruitful.

Chandan

Related to Curvature of flexible chain

1. What is the curvature of a flexible chain?

The curvature of a flexible chain refers to the amount of bending or curvature that can be achieved by a chain when it is subjected to external forces or constraints.

2. How is the curvature of a flexible chain measured?

The curvature of a flexible chain is typically measured using the radius of curvature, which is the radius of the circle that best fits the curve of the chain at a particular point.

3. What factors affect the curvature of a flexible chain?

The curvature of a flexible chain is influenced by a variety of factors, including the chain's length, thickness, and the magnitude and direction of external forces acting on it.

4. What is the relationship between curvature and flexibility of a chain?

The curvature of a flexible chain is directly related to its flexibility. The more flexible a chain is, the easier it is to achieve a higher curvature, while a stiffer chain will have a lower curvature.

5. How does the curvature of a flexible chain impact its mechanical properties?

The curvature of a flexible chain can significantly affect its mechanical properties, such as its strength and ability to withstand external forces. A chain with a higher curvature may be more prone to buckling or breaking under stress.