Curvature, More of a cross product question really.

In summary: So, in summary, the original question was to find the curvature of a given vector function using the cross product method. However, there was some confusion regarding the cross product and cofactor expansion, resulting in incorrect components. Once the correct components were obtained and the magnitude of the resulting vector was taken, the correct answer was obtained.
RyanSchw
I've been using various methods of finding curvature, and using the forumla

[tex]

K=\frac{||\vec{r}'X \vec{r}''||}{||\vec{r}'||^3}

[/tex]

I took the cross product of my two vectors and came up with (just assume this is correct, if my question isn't answered i'll post all related work)

[tex]

128 \pi^3 sin(2 \pi t)^2 - -128 \pi^3 cos(2 \pi t)^2

[/tex]

My question is: Can I factor out the 128[itex] \pi^3[/itex] and then use a trig identity to make sin^2 + cos^2 =1?

I assumed that since these were components of vectors I couldn't do this. However, if I do, I get the correct answer. I left them as is, and then took the magnitude of the resulting cross product.

Which produced

[tex]

128 \pi^3 \sqrt{sin(2 \pi t)^4+cos(2 \pi t)^4}

[/tex]

This would also produce the correct answer if sin(x)^n +cos(x)^n =1, but I'm fairly certain it doesn't.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, sin(x)^4+cos(x)^4 is NOT 1. Yes, I think you'll need to post more work.

RyanSchw said:
I've been using various methods of finding curvature, and using the forumla

[tex]

K=\frac{||\vec{r}'X \vec{r}''||}{||\vec{r}'||^3}

[/tex]

I took the cross product of my two vectors and came up with (just assume this is correct, if my question isn't answered i'll post all related work)

[tex]

128 \pi^3 sin(2 \pi t)^2 - -128 \pi^3 cos(2 \pi t)^2

[/tex]
Do you mean you got this as one of the components of the cross product or do you mean, rather, something like
[tex]128\pi^3 sin(2\pi t)^2\vec{i} - 128 \pi^2 cos(2\pi t)^2\vec{j}[/tex]?
If the latter, you can certainly factor out the [itex]128\pi^3[/itex] but not combine the different components.

[/itex]My question is: Can I factor out the 128[itex] \pi^3[/itex] and then use a trig identity to make sin^2 + cos^2 =1?

I assumed that since these were components of vectors I couldn't do this. However, if I do, I get the correct answer. I left them as is, and then took the magnitude of the resulting cross product.

Which produced

[tex]

128 \pi^3 \sqrt{sin(2 \pi t)^4+cos(2 \pi t)^4}

[/tex]

This would also produce the correct answer if sin(x)^n +cos(x)^n =1, but I'm fairly certain it doesn't.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The original question is: Find the curvature of

[tex]

\vec{r}(t) = 4cos(2 \pi t)\vec{i} + 4sin(2 \pi t)\vec{j}

[/tex]

I have a solutions guide and found the curvature using

[tex]

K = \frac{||\vec{T}'(t)||}{||\vec{r}'(t)||}

[/tex]

but I wanted to try the cross product method to see if it is easier, and just for some review.

[tex]

\vec{r}'(t) = -8 \pi sin(2 \pi t)\vec{i} + 8 \pi cos(2 \pi t)\vec{j}

[/tex]

[tex]

\vec{r}''(t) = -16 \pi^2 cos(2 \pi t)\vec{i} - 16 \pi^2 sin(2 \pi t)\vec{j}

[/tex]

[tex]

\vec{r}'(t) X \vec{r}''(t) = 128 \pi^3 sin(2 \pi t )^2\vec{i} - - 128 \pi^3 cos(2 \pi t)^2\vec{j}

[/tex]

[tex]

|| \vec{r}'(t) \crcoss \vec{r}''(t) || = \sqrt{(128 \pi^3 sin(2 \pi t )^2)^2+(28 \pi^3 cos(2 \pi t)^2)^2}

[/tex]

[tex]

||\vec{r}'(t)|| = \sqrt{(-8 \pi sin(2 \pi t))^2+(8 \pi cos(2 \pi t))^2} = 8 \pi

[/tex]

[tex]

K=\frac{||\vec{r}'(t)X \vec{r}'(t)||}{||\vec{r}'(t)||^3}=\frac{128 \pi^3 \sqrt{sin(2 \pi t)^4+cos(2 \pi t)^4}}{(8 \pi)^3}

[/tex]

As I typed all this out, I realized that I took the cross product of a 2 X 2 matrix, and probably should have taken a 3 X 3 cofactor expansion with vectors [itex] \vec{i},\vec{j} [/itex] and [itex] \vec{k} [/itex]

so i'll try that and see if it works, until then this is the problem in its entirety.

Actually, looking back over the problem, I think I assumed my 2 X 2 cross product was a cofactor expansion, where it should have been a constant. This would have allowed me to simplify that result and get the [itex] 128 \pi^3 [/itex] I needed in the numerator.

Cofactor expansion results in [itex] 0 \vec{i} + 0\vec{j} + 128 \pi^3 \vec{k} [/itex] which if I take the magnitude of that vector I get the result I need.

Do I have this somewhat straightened out not?

RyanSchw said:
Actually, looking back over the problem, I think I assumed my 2 X 2 cross product was a cofactor expansion, where it should have been a constant. This would have allowed me to simplify that result and get the [itex] 128 \pi^3 [/itex] I needed in the numerator.

Cofactor expansion results in [itex] 0 \vec{i} + 0\vec{j} + 128 \pi^3 \vec{k} [/itex] which if I take the magnitude of that vector I get the result I need.

Do I have this somewhat straightened out not?

That looks much better, yes.

Related to Curvature, More of a cross product question really.

1. What is curvature?

Curvature is a measure of how much a curve deviates from being a straight line. It can be defined as the rate of change of the tangent vector along a curve.

2. How is curvature calculated?

Curvature is calculated using the formula k = |dT/ds|, where k is the curvature, T is the tangent vector, and s is the arc length parameter along the curve. It can also be calculated using the cross product of the velocity and acceleration vectors.

3. What does a high curvature value indicate?

A high curvature value indicates that the curve is highly curved and deviates significantly from being a straight line. This can be visualized as a sharp turn or bend in the curve.

4. How is curvature related to the cross product?

Curvature can be calculated using the cross product of the velocity and acceleration vectors, as mentioned in the formula k = |v x a|/|v|^3. This is because the cross product gives the magnitude of the perpendicular component of the acceleration vector, which is necessary for calculating curvature.

5. What is the significance of curvature in real-world applications?

Curvature is used in many fields, including mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is an important concept in describing the shape of objects, analyzing motion, and designing structures that can withstand stress and strain. It also has practical applications in fields such as computer graphics and computer vision.