Current mirrors, low current measurement

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for resources on current mirror circuits and measuring low currents. Some suggestions for technical handbooks and books on electronic current mirror are provided, along with recommendations for companies that specialize in low current measurement. It is mentioned that textbooks may not cover these topics in detail, and that application notes may be a better source of information. The simplicity of current mirrors is also mentioned, with the suggestion to refer to IC books for more information.
DragonPetter
Does anyone know of a good textbook that would go in depth on current mirror circuits? What about methods and information on measuring low currents? My sedra and smith book does not talk anything about these subjects in detail.

Engineering news on Phys.org
DragonPetter said:
Does anyone know of a good textbook that would go in depth on current mirror circuits? What about methods and information on measuring low currents? My sedra and smith book does not talk anything about these subjects in detail.

For understanding low-current measurements, Keithly (who makes picoammeters) has good technical information in handbooks:

http://www.keithley.com/knowledgecenter

For books that cover current mirrors in detail (beyond basic circuits books), I used an Amazon search on electronic current mirror:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...tronic+current+mirror&ajr=0&tag=pfamazon01-20

A couple of those books look promising. Maybe you can find them in your local technical library to check them out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bogart 'Electronic Devices and Circuits'

has some SPICE implementations of current mirrors.

Like Berkman said, Keithley make very low current meters, they should have a lot of info. How low is low for you?

Other sources are the company that make fA op-amps. In my days, Burr Brown had a lot of app. notes also. If you get down to pA range, it can start to get tricky. Also check Analog Devices, Maxim and Linear Technology. I never seen textbooks talk about measurement, you have to go to app notes for that. I learned from Burr Brown in the 90s. But I don't know whether they are still around, might have been swallow up by AD or other companies.

Regarding to current mirrors, do you mean circuit use inside ICs that use a transistor to setup the bias for other transistors to scale the current. If so, I doubted there is a book specialized on this as it is quite simple, only deserve two to three pages of materials. Look at any IC book and you find info about this.

Last edited:

Related to Current mirrors, low current measurement

What is a current mirror?

A current mirror is a circuit that replicates the current of a reference circuit, typically with higher precision and stability. It is commonly used in electronic devices to accurately measure and regulate current levels.

How does a current mirror work?

A current mirror works by using a feedback loop to control the output current based on the input current. The reference circuit, also known as the master circuit, provides a stable reference current that is mirrored by the output circuit, also known as the slave circuit.

What are the applications of current mirrors?

Current mirrors have various applications in electronic devices, including low current measurement, voltage regulation, and biasing circuits. They are also commonly used in operational amplifiers and analog-to-digital converters to improve precision and stability.

What is low current measurement?

Low current measurement is the process of accurately measuring small amounts of current, typically in the range of microamps (μA) to nanoamps (nA). This is commonly achieved using current mirrors, which can replicate low currents with high precision and stability.

What are the advantages of using current mirrors in low current measurement?

Current mirrors offer several advantages when used for low current measurement, including high precision, stability, and low error rates. They can also reduce the influence of external factors, such as temperature and voltage fluctuations, on the measured current. Additionally, current mirrors are relatively simple and cost-effective compared to other measurement techniques.