Current Definition: Conventional vs Electron Flow

In summary, the conversation discusses the different definitions of current, with one being the conventional current and the other being the electron flow. The equations for these definitions are given as i = dq/dt and i = -dq/dt respectively, with i also being equal to the integral of J*ds. The conversation also brings up the use of vectors to simplify the understanding of currents and how the sign of the current is determined by the orientation of the surface area. The use of fundamental definitions, rather than vague descriptions, eliminates confusion about signs.
RaduAndrei
When the current is defined as being the conventional current then:
i = dq/dt, i = integral of J*ds

When the current is defined to be the electron flow:
i = -dq/dt, i = - (integral of J*ds)

Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you define the current in terms of negative charge, won't you do the same for current density? Why the - sign in front of the integral?
You define J with positive charge and i with negative?

You don't need to think in this complicated way about currents. Just use vectors! The current density
$$\vec{j}(t,\vec{x})=\rho(t,\vec{x}) \vec{v}(t,\vec{x}),$$
where ##\rho## is the density of electric charges and ##\vec{v}## is the flow-velocity field of the charged matter. Now everything is encoded in this equation. Particularly the sign of the charge density determines automatically whether the current density is pointing in or opposite to the direction of the charge flow velocity.

The sign of the current then is uniquely defined by the choice of orientation of the area this current is referred to: Electric current is the amount of charge per unit time flowing through a given area. It's orientation is defined by the choice of the surface-area element vectors, perpendicular to the surface, ##\mathrm{d}^2 \vec{f}##. Then the current is uniquely defined by
$$i(t)=\int_{F} \mathrm{d}^2 \vec{f} \cdot \vec{j}.$$
Keeping these fundamental definitions of the quantities in mind there's no more confusion about signs and you don't need vague descriptions like "conventional current" anymore.

Related to Current Definition: Conventional vs Electron Flow

1. What is the difference between conventional and electron flow?

Conventional flow is the direction of positive charges, while electron flow is the direction of negative charges. In conventional flow, current is said to flow from positive to negative, while in electron flow, current is said to flow from negative to positive.

2. Which flow convention is used in most electrical circuits?

In most electrical circuits, conventional flow is used because it was established before the discovery of electrons and is still widely used in modern electronics. However, some circuits and devices, such as transistors, use electron flow convention.

3. Why is there a difference between conventional and electron flow?

The difference between conventional and electron flow is due to the historical development of the concept of electric current. Conventional flow was established before the discovery of electrons, and the direction of current was based on the flow of positive charges. However, with the discovery of electrons, it was found that they are the actual carriers of electric current, leading to the concept of electron flow.

4. Does the direction of current matter in a circuit?

No, the direction of current does not matter in a circuit. What matters is the flow of charge, whether it is positive or negative. In conventional flow, the direction of current is opposite to the direction of electron flow, but the flow of charge is the same.

5. How does the choice of flow convention affect circuit analysis?

The choice of flow convention does not affect the results of circuit analysis. Both conventional and electron flow conventions give the same values for current, voltage, and other circuit parameters. However, it is important to be consistent with the chosen convention for accurate analysis and communication in the scientific community.