Curious Question; find ⌠cotx using integration by parts

In summary, the conversation discusses using integration by parts to find ⌠cotx with the given values of u and dv. However, it is mentioned that using substitution would be a simpler method. The conversation also addresses a sign error in the attempt at a solution and the correct way to write the equation. It is also mentioned that using differentials and constants of integration is important. The conversation concludes by discussing the possibility of using IBP with different values for u and dv.
Raza

Homework Statement

find ⌠cotx using integration by parts with using u= 1/sinx and dv= cosx

Homework Equations

cotx=cosx/sinx

The Attempt at a Solution

u= 1/sinx and dv= cosx dx
du = -cotxcscx dx v= sinx

⌠udv = 1 + ⌠sinx cotx cscx
sinx and cscx cancel out.

⌠cotx = 1 + ⌠cotx
I=1+I
0I=1?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Raza said:

Homework Statement

find ⌠cotx using integration by parts with using u= 1/sinx and dv= cosx

Homework Equations

cotx=cosx/sinx

The Attempt at a Solution

u= 1/sinx and dv= cosx dx
du = -cotxcscx dx v= sinx

⌠udv = 1 + ⌠sinx cotx cscx
sinx and cscx cancel out.

⌠cotx = 1 - ⌠cotx

Are you required to use integration by parts? If not, an ordinary substitution will work.

You have a sign error in this equation ⌠cotx = 1 - ⌠cotx . If IBP is required, try splitting u and dv differently.

Hello,
I know that it could be done with simple substitution. I was just curious of why it won't work by IBP.

Also, because I've seen ⌠tanx = ln|secx| and as -ln|cosx|

I thought that ⌠cotx = ln|sinx| would also be -ln|cscx|

was trying to prove that maybe it is also equal to -ln|cscx|.

Don't omit the differentials and the constants of integration.

Yes, ⌠cotx dx = ln|sin x| + C = - ln(1/|csc x|) + C. And you need only the properties of logs to show that - ln(1/|csc x|) = ln|sin x|.

As I already mentioned, this is very much easier when you use substitution, but I believe that you could also use IBP if you're masochistic. I would try u = cos x and dv = csc x dx instead of what you tried.

Thank you, Mark44, I realize that it would be too hard to go through that.

Related to Curious Question; find ⌠cotx using integration by parts

1. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a technique in calculus used to find the integral of a product of two functions. It involves using the product rule for derivatives to rewrite the integral in a different form that is easier to solve.

2. How do I use integration by parts to find cotx?

To use integration by parts to find cotx, you would first need to express cotx as a product of two functions. Then, you would use the formula: ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u is one of the functions and dv is the other. This will allow you to rewrite the integral in a form that can be solved using basic integration techniques.

3. Why is integration by parts useful?

Integration by parts is useful because it allows us to solve integrals that would be difficult or impossible to solve using other techniques. It is particularly helpful when dealing with products of functions or when the integrand involves a combination of algebraic and transcendental functions.

4. Are there any limitations to using integration by parts?

Yes, there are limitations to using integration by parts. It is only applicable when the integral involves a product of two functions. It also requires careful selection of the functions u and v in order to simplify the integral. In some cases, integration by parts may not lead to a solution, and another method must be used.

5. Can integration by parts be used to find any type of integral?

No, integration by parts can only be used to find the integral of a product of two functions. It cannot be used to find the integral of a single function or a quotient of functions. It is also not applicable for integrals involving trigonometric functions with complicated arguments.