Curious about Linear Density (μ) of a string

In summary, the conversation revolves around the linear density μ in the equation v = sqrt(T/μ) used in musical instruments, where μ = m/L. The question is which value of L to use, specifically between the unstretched length and stretched length of a wire. The expert clarifies that usually in musical instruments, stretching is not allowed and the linear density depends on the diameter and material of the wire. However, in this scenario, where a .1 m wire is stretched to .12 m, the value of L to use would be 0.12 m.
erinec
(Sorry I cannot follow the question format because this question is related to a problem, but is not the problem itself.)

I am talking about the linear density μ that appears in this equation:
v = sqrt(T/μ)

.. used usually for musical instruments, where μ = m/L

Now, I am wondering which value of L we use.

Say that you have a string that is normally .1 kg and .10 meters long.
Now let's say that u stretch the string to .12 meters to make some musical instrument.

For L value, do we plug in .12 meters or .10 meters?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually in the musical instruments that mush stretching is not allowed. mu is the linear density of the wire. For a given length of wire ( which is usual in all the string instruments) linear density depends on the diameter and the material of the wire.

But I specifically came across a question that required me to make a choice between using an unstretched length vs. a stretched length and I wasn't sure what to do.Let's hypothetically assume that someone stretched a .1 m wire to .12 m to create some musical instrument.
Which value of L would u use?

Obviously 0.12 m.

Related to Curious about Linear Density (μ) of a string

What is the linear density (μ) of a string?

The linear density of a string is a measurement of the mass per unit length of the string. It is usually denoted by the Greek letter μ and is measured in kilograms per meter (kg/m).

Why is the linear density (μ) of a string important?

The linear density of a string is important because it affects the behavior of the string, such as its tension and vibration frequency. It also plays a role in determining the pitch and timbre of a string instrument.

How is the linear density (μ) of a string calculated?

The linear density of a string can be calculated by dividing the mass of the string by its length. It can also be calculated by multiplying the density of the material the string is made of by its cross-sectional area.

What factors can affect the linear density (μ) of a string?

The linear density of a string can be affected by the material it is made of, the diameter or thickness of the string, and any additional coatings or layers on the string. Changes in temperature and tension can also affect the linear density.

How does the linear density (μ) of a string affect the sound produced by a string instrument?

The linear density of a string can affect the pitch, timbre, and volume of the sound produced by a string instrument. A higher linear density can result in a lower pitch and a fuller, richer sound, while a lower linear density can result in a higher pitch and a thinner, brighter sound.