Cultivating a passion for Chemical Engineering?

In summary, the speaker just finished their Chemistry final and has been studying various concepts and theories in the subject. They have developed a strong interest in Chemistry and are considering pursuing it as their major instead of Mechanical Engineering. They are currently exploring ways to further delve into Chemistry, such as building a model engine and conducting experiments with household chemicals. The speaker also discusses the idea that our interests and career choices are not solely determined by our personalities, and encourages others to explore different subjects and pursue their passions.
Krishan93
Well I just finished my Chem Final for the semester, and regardless of my performance, the past week I've been studying everything from the foundational concepts to broader theories.

At the end of it all, I feel that I have a much better grasp on chemistry, which does not seem as hard as people perceive it to be- maybe because how theoretical it is?

At my University, I came in planning to declare Mechanical Engineering - solely because I have a sweet tooth for the mechanical precision of engines and it's a well paid career.

Now with my new fondness for Chemistry, I'm wondering maybe it's something I could enjoy more than mechE, but I wouldn't know unless I really delve into the field.

As of now I've been building this little model replica of a V8 engine to cultivate my knack for mechanical stuffs.
How can I do the same with Chemistry? I'm thinking of just picking up random chemistry experiments with some household chemicals-.
What simple, yet foundational activities can I do to further explore Chemistry?
-On a mental note:
I personally feel that it is not "destiny" or our unique "personalities" that inherently dictate our choice of majors. Thus, I think that is very possible to cultivate a desire, implant a dream, and just pursue it in the same way the next person says "I've always loved chemistry"

Physics news on Phys.org
yeah we didn't do any of that in school, brewing beer might be the closest as it's a chemical process. ChE is a lot different than other disciplines, but you do take the same math, and dynamics, etc.

if you do really like chemistry you might be interested in it. and should check out some of the class topics on wikipedia.

Related to Cultivating a passion for Chemical Engineering?

1. What is Chemical Engineering?

Chemical Engineering is a branch of engineering that combines principles of chemistry, physics, and mathematics to design, develop, and operate systems that involve chemical or biological transformations. It involves the application of these principles to various industries such as pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, energy, and materials.

2. Why should I cultivate a passion for Chemical Engineering?

Cultivating a passion for Chemical Engineering can open up a wide range of career opportunities in various industries. It also allows you to make a positive impact on society by developing solutions to global challenges such as sustainability, renewable energy, and environmental protection. Additionally, Chemical Engineering is a constantly evolving field, providing opportunities for continuous learning and growth.

3. What skills are necessary to excel in Chemical Engineering?

To excel in Chemical Engineering, one must have a strong foundation in mathematics, chemistry, and physics. Problem-solving, critical thinking, attention to detail, and strong analytical skills are also essential. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important as Chemical Engineers often work in interdisciplinary teams.

4. How can I cultivate a passion for Chemical Engineering?

One way to cultivate a passion for Chemical Engineering is to gain hands-on experience through internships, co-ops, or research opportunities. It is also important to stay updated on new developments and advancements in the field through reading journals and attending conferences. Joining student organizations and participating in competitions can also help in developing a passion for Chemical Engineering.

5. What are the job prospects for Chemical Engineers?

The job outlook for Chemical Engineers is positive, with a projected growth rate of 4% from 2019 to 2029, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Chemical Engineers can find employment in various industries such as pharmaceuticals, energy, food and beverage, and materials. They can also work in research and development, process design, and production management roles.