Cube Roots of a Complex Function Am I doing something wrong?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the cube roots of the complex number 8+8i and plotting them on an Argand diagram. The De Moivre formula is used to find the three roots, with one having a magnitude of 2*2^(1/6) and an argument of 15 degrees. The other two roots can be found using the values for k=1 and k=2. However, since calculators are not permitted, the approximate values for the modulus and angle can be used to plot the roots on the diagram. The conversation also mentions the benefits of not allowing calculators in exams.
kawsar
1. Find the cube roots of the complex number 8+8i and plot them on an Argand
diagram

Thats the problem, I've had a go at the solution and came up with 3 solutions using the [tex]\sqrt[n]{r}[/tex]*(cos([tex]\frac{\theta+2\pi*k}{n}[/tex])+isin([tex]\frac{\theta+2\pi*k}{n}[/tex])), but the answers (roots) I get, I can't plot it on an Argand Diagram as I cannot simplify them to an a+bi format.

I'm using n=3, r=8[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] and [tex]\theta[/tex]=45 degrees.

Am I doing something wrong somewhere?

Thanks

First Post :D

Physics news on Phys.org
One of the roots should have a magnitude of r = 2*2^(1/6), and an argument (angle) of 15 degrees. That should agree with your De Moivre formula for k = 0. For the other two roots, use k = 1 and k = 2.

Yep, that's what I get as well, but how would I plot that root on an Argand Diagram? I could work out the a and b (to make it into the format a+bi) using a calculator but I'm not allowed to use one you see.

Any ways I could do that without the use of a calculator etc.?

Thanks!

You can't use a calculator at all? I can see not allowing a graphing calculator, but can't you use one to get an approximation for 2*2^(1/6) and for the sine and cosine of 15 degrees?

Well, the angle is 15 degrees, so you could use some half-angle formulas to get sin(15 deg) and cos(15 deg). The modulus is a little over 2 (~2.245), so draw a point on a circle of radius 2.245, and then make a ray 15 degrees up from the positive x axis. Where the ray crosses the circle is one of your cube roots.

Here is what it says on the past exam paper it came from: Calculators are NOT permitted in this examination.

So, no calculators of any kind allowed by the looks of it. I might have to email one of the lecturers to see what they say about this. Seems a tough one having to work out the modulus (approx).

The question does not say approximate but it could be that when we make the plots we just plot them approximately (2 and a bit) as I'm sure they won't be able to tell what 2.245 and a little over 2 is.

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, that sounds like a good strategy of just making r out a bit over 2. And if you're halfway careful you can get a reasonable set of values for x and y just by eyeball.

Actually, I think it's a good idea for schools to not allow calculators for some problems.

I thought it was the standard that Universities don't allow Calculators at all... Makes you think more (which is better) but some questions become a tad longer which doesn't help when you're running out of time...!

Related to Cube Roots of a Complex Function Am I doing something wrong?

1. What is a "Cube Root" of a Complex Function?

A cube root is a number that, when multiplied by itself three times, results in the original complex number. It is the opposite operation of cubing a number. For example, the cube root of 8 is 2, since 2 x 2 x 2 = 8.

2. How do I calculate the Cube Root of a Complex Function?

To calculate the cube root of a complex function, you first need to convert the function into polar form. Then, you can use the formula: (r^(1/3)) * (cos((ϴ + 2kπ)/3) + i sin((ϴ + 2kπ)/3)), where r is the modulus (distance from the origin) and ϴ is the argument (angle from the positive real axis). k is an integer that can take on values from 0 to 2, representing each of the three possible cube roots.

3. Can I use the same method for finding the Cube Root of any Complex Function?

Yes, you can use the same method for finding the cube root of any complex function, as long as it is in polar form. If the function is not in polar form, you will need to convert it first before applying the formula.

4. Why do I need to use polar form for finding the Cube Root of a Complex Function?

Using polar form is necessary because it allows us to easily find the modulus and argument of the complex number. These values are important in calculating the cube root, as shown in the formula. In Cartesian form, it would be much more complicated to find the cube root of a complex number.

5. Am I doing something wrong if I get multiple solutions when finding the Cube Root of a Complex Function?

No, it is normal to get multiple solutions when finding the cube root of a complex function. This is because there are three possible cube roots for any complex number. Make sure to check all three solutions to ensure you have found all possible cube roots.