Crystallography Primer/Reading ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a quick crash course in crystallography for someone who has limited experience with the subject. A suggested resource is MIT's 3.60 course, which consists of 40 videos about 40 minutes each and covers crystallography in detail.
atomicpedals
Hello, I'm going to be doing some work with crystallography and diffraction studies and I need a quick crash course in crystallography. I haven't done much of either outside of labs as an undergrad. Anyone have any suggested reading for quickly getting up to speed (or at least becoming functionally illiterate)?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
atomicpedals said:
Hello, I'm going to be doing some work with crystallography and diffraction studies and I need a quick crash course in crystallography. I haven't done much of either outside of labs as an undergrad. Anyone have any suggested reading for quickly getting up to speed (or at least becoming functionally illiterate)?

Thanks!

This isn't a quick reading, but you might find it interesting;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT_6DlaHcWQ&feature=BFa&list=PL7E7E396BF006E209&index=1"

This is MIT's 3.60 course, which is all about crystallography (40 videos & each about 40 minutes)

It's been perfect for me :)

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Crystallography Primer/Reading ?

1. What is crystallography?

Crystallography is the scientific study of crystals and their structure. It involves the analysis of the arrangement of atoms and molecules within a crystal and how they interact with one another.

2. Why is crystallography important in scientific research?

Crystallography plays a crucial role in many fields of science, such as chemistry, biology, and materials science. It allows for the determination of the atomic and molecular structure of a substance, providing valuable information about its properties and potential applications.

3. What is a crystal structure?

A crystal structure is the three-dimensional arrangement of atoms, ions, or molecules within a crystal. It is determined by the repeating pattern of unit cells, which are the smallest units that make up a crystal.

4. How is crystallography used in drug development?

Crystallography is an essential tool in drug development as it allows scientists to determine the structure of target proteins and how they interact with potential drug molecules. This information can then be used to design more effective drugs with fewer side effects.

5. What is X-ray crystallography?

X-ray crystallography is a technique used to determine the atomic and molecular structure of a crystal by analyzing the diffraction patterns of X-rays passing through the crystal. It is the most commonly used method in crystallography and has been instrumental in the understanding of many biological and chemical structures.