Cryogenic Materials for Bladder

• Thread starter ccarleton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Materials
In summary, you are looking for a material that will not crack when folded or stretched, and that has a high capacity. Teflon, Kapton, and nylon are all possible materials, but they are not the best options.
ccarleton
Would anybody know the following or be able to point me to a web resource?
Thanks

Do you know of any materials that retain some elasticity at cryogenic temperatures in the 20 degrees Kelvin range?

This would be for a bladder that would hold liquid nitrogen in a bath of liquid Hydrogen or helium under pressure. The bladder could either stretch or fold. So it does not necessarily need to stretch, just not crack while it was folded.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The only thing I can think of is a stainless steel bellows tube.
How much capacity/change in capacity do you need?

Ideally the bladder would need to collapse completely.

Could there be any type of Silicon, plastic or rubber compound that might work?

ccarleton said:
Could there be any type of Silicon, plastic or rubber compound that might work?
It's a bit lower than I have direct experience of, but I doubt there are any plastics/rubber that are that flexible at 20K.

Polytetrafluoroethylene retains some plasticity at 20k.

Nitrogen will solidify at -340 F (aprox) regardless of pressure, so in a bath of LH2, you have other issues. At liquid helium temperature, even hydrogen is a solid.

Teflon will get hard, though if it's thin enough (ie: a few micron) it might work.

I'd suggest trying Kapton film, especially the reinforced variety that has fibers interwoven. Don't know what the fibers are made of though. I've experimented with Kapton film by dunking in liquid nitrogen, and it holds up surprisingly well. If it krinkles up, it will develop holes at the points where 2 folds come together. The key to retaining flexibility with Kapton (and most materials in this circumstance) is to get them as thin as possible to minimize bending stresses.

I've also tried various plastics including nylon, all of which failed miserably.

If you can explain your intented use, it would help.

Related to Cryogenic Materials for Bladder

1. What are cryogenic materials for bladder?

Cryogenic materials for bladder are materials that are specifically designed to withstand extreme low temperatures for use in cryogenic applications. These materials are highly durable and able to maintain their mechanical properties at temperatures as low as -196 degrees Celsius.

2. What are the benefits of using cryogenic materials for bladder?

One of the main benefits of using cryogenic materials for bladder is their ability to withstand extreme low temperatures without losing their structural integrity. This makes them ideal for use in storage and transportation of cryogenic fluids, such as liquid nitrogen and oxygen. Additionally, these materials are highly resistant to corrosion and have a longer lifespan compared to traditional materials.

3. What are some common types of cryogenic materials used for bladder?

Some common types of cryogenic materials used for bladder include stainless steel, aluminum, and composite materials. These materials are chosen for their high strength, low thermal conductivity, and resistance to extreme temperatures.

4. How are cryogenic materials for bladder tested for safety and reliability?

Cryogenic materials for bladder undergo rigorous testing to ensure their safety and reliability. This includes cryogenic testing, where the materials are subjected to extreme low temperatures to assess their performance. They also undergo mechanical testing to evaluate their strength and durability under different conditions.

5. What are some potential applications of cryogenic materials for bladder?

Cryogenic materials for bladder have a wide range of applications, including cryogenic storage tanks, transportation containers, and fuel tanks for space vehicles. They are also used in medical and laboratory equipment for storing and handling cryogenic fluids. Additionally, these materials can be used in industries such as aerospace, biotechnology, and energy production.