Cross-section for elastic scattering?

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of collinear singularities in theories with massless particles exchanged in the t and u channels, specifically in the context of calculating the cross-section for elastic scattering of two charged fermions. It is mentioned that this phenomenon is addressed through resummation techniques, as explained in Weinberg's Quantum Theory of Fields, Vol. I. There is also mention of the cancellation of higher-order terms in perturbation theory to address this issue.
muppet
Hi All,

Following on from the last dumb question I asked...

Suppose you calculate the tree-level approximation to the elastic scattering of two charged fermions
to find that the result varies as ##\sim 1/t##, where t is the Mandelstam variable describing the squared momentum transfer in the centre of mass frame.

To work out the corresponding cross-section, you integrate the square modulus of this over t with t=0 as one of your limits of integration, so that the result diverges. Why is this not regarded as a problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is regarded as a problem, a socalled collinear singularity. It always occurs for theories with massless particles exchanged in the t and u channels. The cure is a resummation in this channel. Look at Weinberg, Quantum Theory of Fields, Vol. I. There's a whole chapter is devoted to infrared problems.

Thanks for your reply. I've heard of collinear singularities, but I'd always had the impression that such singularities canceled other divergences from the same order in perturbation theory- e.g. infrared divergences in loop integrals being canceled by those from bremstrahlung, so I couldn't see how such higher-order terms would cancel a tree-level effect. Guess I need to look into Weinberg, thanks.

Related to Cross-section for elastic scattering?

1. What is the definition of "cross-section for elastic scattering"?

The cross-section for elastic scattering is a measure of the likelihood that a particle will scatter when it collides with another particle. It is represented by the symbol σ and is typically measured in units of area, such as square meters (m^2).

2. How is the cross-section for elastic scattering calculated?

The cross-section for elastic scattering is calculated by taking the ratio of the number of scattered particles to the number of incident particles, and then multiplying by the area of the target. This calculation takes into account the scattering angle and the target material's properties.

3. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic scattering?

Elastic scattering refers to a collision between two particles in which no energy is lost and the particles remain unchanged. In contrast, inelastic scattering involves a transfer of energy between the particles, resulting in a change in their properties.

4. What factors affect the cross-section for elastic scattering?

The cross-section for elastic scattering is influenced by several factors, including the energy and type of particles involved, the scattering angle, and the properties of the target material. Additionally, the strength of the interaction between the particles plays a role in determining the cross-section.

5. Why is the cross-section for elastic scattering important in scientific research?

The cross-section for elastic scattering is an essential measurement in many areas of scientific research, such as particle physics, nuclear physics, and materials science. It provides valuable information about the properties and behavior of particles, as well as the interactions between them. This allows scientists to better understand the fundamental laws of nature and develop new technologies and materials.