Cross-platform app development

• Thread starter ergospherical
  • Start date
  • Tags
    App
In summary, cross-platform app development refers to the process of creating mobile applications that can run on multiple operating systems, such as iOS and Android. This approach allows developers to write code once and deploy it on different platforms, saving time and resources. With the rise of hybrid and web-based technologies, cross-platform development has become increasingly popular among businesses looking to reach a wider audience and streamline their app development process. However, it also comes with its own set of challenges, such as compatibility issues and limitations in accessing device-specific features. Overall, cross-platform app development offers a cost-effective and efficient solution for creating versatile mobile apps.
ergospherical
Has anybody used Ionic and/or Flutter for hybrid iOS & android app development? And if so, how versatile are they? I’m wondering whether to stick to iOS only or whether to try my hand at one of those (because I have no experience with android).

Technology news on Phys.org
Android is arguably has the larger sphere of interest worldwide at 75% while iOS is strong in the US market at 53%.https://www.techrepublic.com/article/why-is-android-more-popular-globally-while-ios-rules-the-us/

Cross platform apps suffer from a variety of ills since they can only use features common to both. GUI development is wildly different and could likely be a show stopper in app development for cross platform development. Some app developers go for a web-based approach using to maintain some commonality but it suffers from not being fully integrated into the platform GUI.

There are development platforms that bridge these GUI and platform specific problems most notably the Unity game engine but that may be overkill for your app. Unity can be ported to many different platforms.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...engine-is-unity-the-right-game-engine-for-you

Likes sysprog and ergospherical
I haven't used either but if I were to choose one I would choose Ionic because I like JavaScript and I don't like Dart (mind you I hate Angular which I believe Ionic uses).

Rather than these two I would choose React Native.

I actually use Vue, but it doesn't compile to native mobile applications (although it can be transpiled to React Native), rather it can create PWAs which for my purposes are just as good.

If you are writing a game though, you need to be as close to the hardware as possible so none of the JavaScript based platforms are likely to be suitable.

Likes ergospherical
Remember that neither Apple nor Google want you to have effective cross platform abilities.

Probably you never will find a really good solution.

Thanks guys! In particular I had an idea for a new type of social media app, and when I was playing around with Ionic earlier I realized it's probably nowhere near flexible enough to do what I want. I'm somewhat familiar with xcode & swift and I have all the apple developer program stuff set up, so I think I'm just going to do it for iOS first because I have no idea how to develop for android.

The only issue is that, especially with social media, it's expected to be cross-platform otherwise you're restricting the user base too heavily. So maybe a web-based application would be a better idea. I'm not sure hahaha

Remember that neither Apple nor Google want you to have effective cross platform abilities.

Probably you never will find a really good solution.

The strategy that made Lotus rich was to first release junk and spend on advertising rather than more development. If it proved popular, try would have plenty of money to rewrite it for other platforms and better quality. If unpopular, then all development efforts would be wasted anyhow.

On a related note, Java itself is a pretty good crossplatform GUI for windows, linux and macos. It doesn't work as well for Android and not at all for iOS mobile platforms.

Here's a 2021 survey of crossplatform frameworks to consider. It has Flutter, Ionic and React at the top of the list:

https://www.thirdrocktechkno.com/blog/best-10-cross-platform-app-frameworks-to-consider-in-2021/

and a mobile specific version to consider:

https://www.sam-solutions.com/blog/cross-platform-mobile-development/

Basically saying these frameworks are low-cost but compatibility suffers.

Personally, I've been exploring Go (ala golang aka C reimagined by Google for the internet) for crossplatform and found Fyne frameworks that look intriguing, open source and actively being developed (open source not actively being developed means abandoned because the lead/only developer has moved on to other stuff or there's a fundamental issue that can't be fixed aka developer beware vs open source actively developed means things are missing but are promised to be added and it may never get that far oh well):

Anyway, here's the fyne blog:

https://fyne.io/blog/

Related to Cross-platform app development

1. What is cross-platform app development?

Cross-platform app development is a process of creating mobile applications that can be used on multiple operating systems, such as iOS and Android. This means that instead of developing separate apps for each platform, one app can be created that works on all platforms.

2. What are the benefits of cross-platform app development?

The main benefit of cross-platform app development is the ability to reach a larger audience with one app. It also reduces development time and costs since only one codebase needs to be maintained. Additionally, updates and bug fixes can be applied to all platforms simultaneously.

3. What are the challenges of cross-platform app development?

One of the main challenges of cross-platform app development is ensuring consistent user experience across different platforms. This can be difficult due to differences in device capabilities and user interface guidelines. Another challenge is the availability of certain features or APIs on different platforms.

4. What are some popular cross-platform app development tools?

Some popular cross-platform app development tools include React Native, Flutter, Xamarin, and PhoneGap. These tools allow developers to write code once and deploy it on multiple platforms, while still providing access to native features and capabilities.

5. Is cross-platform app development the right choice for all projects?

While cross-platform app development has many benefits, it may not be the best choice for all projects. Apps that require high performance or have complex features may be better suited for native development. It's important to consider the specific needs and goals of a project before deciding on the development approach.