Credit for PF Mentors: Non-mentors Get Recognition

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter I like Serena
  • Start date
In summary: I'm sure it will come back at some point. Still, I do miss my "Sarcastic" badge.I don't think anyone misses their badges that much. They just want to see more recognition for the work they do.I don't think anyone misses their badges that much. They just want to see more recognition for the work they do.
I like Serena
Homework Helper
MHB
The mentors at PF obviously deserve some credit for being at PF.
But as it is, only non-mentors get credits.

Shouldn't mentors get credit at being particularly good at homework helping, or math, or physics, or chemistry, (or banning ;) or whatnot?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Lol, I think it would be hard to argue with a system that praises mentors :-p that said are you referring to the recognition system and PF awards?

Ryan_m_b said:
Lol, I think it would be hard to argue with a system that praises mentors :-p that said are you referring to the recognition system and PF awards?

Not necessarily.

I just see that mentors, when promoted, lose all their credits.
And afterwards, there do not seem to be any credits at all.

Seems to me it kind of sucks to become a mentor.
Hence my suggestion.

I haven't been invited to become a mentor, but it's kind of hard to see the upside, even if I was.

Last edited:
Mentors don't lose anything, see any retired Mentor (like Monique, Moonbear, Kurdt) - all badges are back. They are just not displayed while Mentor is a Mentor.

Borek said:
Mentors don't lose anything, see any retired Mentor (like Monique, Moonbear, Kurdt) - all badges are back. They are just not displayed while Mentor is a Mentor.

Okay.
Just as an alternative suggestion, shouldn't those badges be displayed while being a mentor?

I like Serena said:
Okay.
Just as an alternative suggestion, shouldn't those badges be displayed while being a mentor?
I don't know of any mentors that really care about additional "badges". Mentors are responsible for the day to day functions of the forum to try to keep it running smoothly and a pleasant experience for members. We give Greg input which helps him determine forum policy. That *is* our recognition.

Badges were created for members that either have exhibited a consistently high level of knowledge - SAs, or that have been consistently helpful and accurate in the homework section - HHs.

Last edited:
When I see an abstract mathematical problem, sometimes I don't respond, since I know there's a mentor who is more qualified who will probably respond.
Similarly with physics problems, I already know which mentor will probably respond and who is more qualified.
And also with electronical problems, there's a name that springs to my mind (not a mentor yet).
And so on.

It's just that all of these people do not get any credits as far as I can tell.

Evo said:
I don't know of any mentors that really care about additional "badges". Mentors are responsible for the day to day functions of the forum to try to keep it running smoothly and a pleasant experience for members. We give Greg input which helps him determine forum policy. That *is* our recognition.

I suspect these mentors would not ask for it, but would appreciate some recognition.

I like Serena said:
I suspect these mentors would not ask for it, but would appreciate some recognition.
Being promoted to Mentor is the highest form of recognition, IMO.

What means a lot to mentors is an occasional "thank you" from someone we've helped, but we don't expect it.

The reason the SA and HH award are set up is not only to award the people receiving it. But it is also to make clear to posters that these are the people who are trustworthy.

That is, if I see an SA or a HH making a post, then I generally trust that what they say is true (most of the time) and that they're dedicated to this community.

If you look at it thay way, then mentors satisfy this criteria anyway. They are naturally dedicated to this community. And they wouldn't have been chosen if they weren't trustworthy.

And besides, I don't think any mentor misses his badge that much to make a fuss about it. :-p

Evo said:
What means a lot to mentors is an occasional "thank you" from someone we've helped, but we don't expect it.

Not getting hate mail is already nice enough for me :biggrin:

Evo said:
I don't know of any mentors that really care about additional "badges".

Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Greg Bernhardt said:
As Evo said, the mentor badge is of the highest order :)

And the simplest way to demote a Mentor in such a way he can't complain is to make him an Admin.

Borek said:
And the simplest way to demote a Mentor in such a way he can't complain is to make him an Admin.
You're a mentor with extra chores. I must say you handle the blue hair well. :-p

Greg Bernhardt said:
As Evo said, the mentor badge is of the highest order :)

Still, I do miss my "Sarcastic" badge.

Zz.

Related to Credit for PF Mentors: Non-mentors Get Recognition

1. What is "Credit for PF Mentors: Non-mentors Get Recognition"?

"Credit for PF Mentors: Non-mentors Get Recognition" is a program that recognizes and rewards non-mentors who provide support and guidance to mentees within the field of personal finance. This program aims to acknowledge the valuable contributions of non-mentors in shaping the financial knowledge and skills of others.

2. Who is eligible to receive recognition under this program?

Any individual who is not a designated mentor but has actively provided support and guidance to mentees in the area of personal finance is eligible to receive recognition under this program. This includes family members, friends, colleagues, and other individuals who have played a significant role in the personal finance journey of others.

3. How can someone be nominated for this recognition?

Nominations for this recognition can be made through the official website of the program or through an online form. Nominators must provide a brief description of the nominee's contributions and how they have positively impacted the financial well-being of others. Self-nominations are also accepted.

4. What are the benefits of receiving recognition under this program?

Recipients of this recognition will receive a certificate of appreciation, a digital badge to display on their website or social media profiles, and a feature on the program's website. They will also be eligible for exclusive networking opportunities and access to resources and tools related to personal finance.

5. How often are nominations and recognitions awarded?

Nominations for this program are accepted on a rolling basis, and recognitions are awarded quarterly. This means that individuals can be nominated and recognized at any time throughout the year. The program aims to recognize a diverse range of non-mentors from different backgrounds and experiences in each cycle.