Creating Wave Functions With One Variable: Can It Be Done?

In summary, there is a general equation for waves that is a second order differential equation. It is possible to create a wave function with just one variable using the number i, such as f(x)=i^x or f(x)=2^ix. However, it is also possible to construct a one-dimensional wave of any shape without using the number i, using the expression r(x)e^(ig(x)). If you want a 'real' waveform with the same peak and trough for every wavefront, you can use r(x) = c. However, this would be considered "cheating" as it still involves the use of the imaginary unit. So, it is not possible to create a wave function without using the number i AND with
johann1301
With the number i, its possible to create a wave function with just one variable.

example:

f(x)=i^x

or..

f(x)=2^ix

But is there any wave function without the number i AND with only one(x and y) variable? can this be created?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
y = sin(x)

Hello,

Are you aware of the general equation of a wave?

Hint: (It is a second order differential equation)

johann1301 said:
With the number i, its possible to create a wave function with just one variable.

example:

f(x)=i^x

or..

f(x)=2^ix

But is there any wave function without the number i AND with only one(x and y) variable? can this be created?

If you want something that oscillates, then something of the form r(x)e^(ig(x)) will give you that. A standard linear wave will be in the form g(x) = wx + c corresponding to a shift and frequency information and if you want a 'real' waveform with the same peak and trough for every wavefront then r(x) = c.

This expression will give you a complex wave-form with a real and imaginary component and if you want one or the other and not both you need to use the normal identities to get rid of the i term or the real term.

In fact, it is possible to construct a one-dimensional wave of any shape.

y = sin(x)

This is the same as

y=1/2 i e^(-i x)-1/2 i e^(i x)

so that would be "cheating"...

Last edited:
(ig(x))

does this mean i*g(x) (the imaginary unit times the function g of x)?

Hello,

Are you aware of the general equation of a wave?

Hint: (It is a second order differential equation)

I don't know anything about differential equations:(

Related to Creating Wave Functions With One Variable: Can It Be Done?

1. Can we create wave functions with just one variable?

Yes, it is possible to create wave functions with just one variable. These are known as one-dimensional wave functions, and they are commonly used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles in one-dimensional systems.

2. What is the mathematical representation of a one-dimensional wave function?

A one-dimensional wave function is typically represented as a complex-valued function of one variable, usually denoted as Ψ(x). This function describes the probability amplitude of a particle being at a certain position x in the one-dimensional system.

3. Can one-dimensional wave functions accurately describe real-world systems?

Yes, one-dimensional wave functions can accurately describe certain real-world systems, such as particles moving along a straight line or a standing wave on a string. However, for more complex systems, multiple variables may be needed to fully describe the wave function.

4. How do we create a one-dimensional wave function?

One-dimensional wave functions can be created through mathematical methods, such as solving the Schrödinger equation for a one-dimensional system. They can also be constructed using known physical laws and experimental data.

5. What is the significance of one-dimensional wave functions in quantum mechanics?

One-dimensional wave functions play a crucial role in quantum mechanics as they provide a mathematical description of the behavior of particles in one-dimensional systems. They allow us to make predictions about the behavior of particles and understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics.