Creating Motion Sensors for Bus Arrival Panel

In summary: You could also have a central control that receives data from the receivers and then sends out a signal to the oscillators/receivers. This would be more efficient, although more complex. In summary, you would need to purchase RFID tags, a timer, and some oscillators to make this project work.
Cluelss
Hello everyone,
I intend to make a "Digital bus arrival information panel".The circuit will be built into my product.So when a bus leaves,the sensors activates a bulb to flash for a time period(e.g 15 mins).Here is a picture similar to my idea:

sgtransport.blogspot.com/2007/08/real-time-bus-arrival-information-panel.html

So the questions are:
1.How do I make sensors that work and make each work individually in my circuit?
2.How do I make the bulbs "timed" for 15 mins after each individual sensor is being activated?

I have little experience in building a circuit(is a resistor needed?What is a blahblahblah) and hope someone would help me in this.Thank you.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
What class is this project for? What background do you have so far? What year in college are you?

Welcome to the PF, BTW.

"1.How do I make sensors that work and make each work individually in my circuit?"

I would suggest looking at RFID tags. They're pretty cheap, widely available, and relatively simple. For question 2. You could use the RFID tags to trigger a timing circuit that throws a relay off at your time limit.

Sorry for being so vague.

berkeman said:
What class is this project for? What background do you have so far? What year in college are you?

Welcome to the PF, BTW.

Well,I'm from another country,I'm taking Design and Technology,knows limited(Basic) stuff about electronics.I currently know things like LED,anode those simple stuff.I'm 15.

Thanks for the welcome.

"1.How do I make sensors that work and make each work individually in my circuit?"

I would suggest looking at RFID tags. They're pretty cheap, widely available, and relatively simple. For question 2. You could use the RFID tags to trigger a timing circuit that throws a relay off at your time limit.

Sorry for being so vague.

Thanks for the useful information.BTW What parts do I have to purchase for this project?

Sorry, I was just suggesting that as a good way to start. I have yet to build anything practical (aside from Marx Generator, Van de Graaf, coil gun, etc).

Well, if it wouldn't break any local laws or interfere with any transmissions, you could simply set up a lower power (maybe 100mW) oscillator (powered off the battery) with a different frequency on each bus.

There's tons and tons of oscillators and I don't know which one would suit you best.

Now, on your display board have receivers for each of the buses. This way is far from efficient though. It's very redundant as each oscillator is essentially the same with adjusted parameters; the same goes for the receivers.

Last edited:

Related to Creating Motion Sensors for Bus Arrival Panel

1. How do motion sensors work in bus arrival panels?

Motion sensors in bus arrival panels work by using infrared technology to detect movement. When a person approaches the panel, the sensors detect the heat emitted by their body and send a signal to the panel to activate the display. This allows for real-time updates of bus arrivals without the need for physical buttons or touch screens.

2. What are the benefits of using motion sensors in bus arrival panels?

There are several benefits to using motion sensors in bus arrival panels. Firstly, it eliminates the need for physical buttons or touch screens, reducing the risk of spreading germs. Additionally, it allows for a more user-friendly experience as there is no need for users to touch the panel or figure out how to use it. Lastly, it can save energy as the display is only activated when someone approaches the panel, reducing the panel's overall power consumption.

3. Can motion sensors accurately detect movement in all weather conditions?

Yes, motion sensors used in bus arrival panels are designed to accurately detect movement in all weather conditions. They are equipped with a protective cover that prevents rain, snow, or other environmental factors from interfering with the sensor's function. However, extreme weather conditions such as heavy fog or blizzards may affect the sensor's accuracy.

4. How are motion sensors powered in bus arrival panels?

Most motion sensors used in bus arrival panels are powered by a low-voltage power supply, such as a battery or a small solar panel. This allows for easy installation and eliminates the need for a separate power source. Some panels may also have the option of being hardwired into an electrical system.

5. Can motion sensors be easily integrated into existing bus arrival panels?

Yes, motion sensors can be easily integrated into existing bus arrival panels. Most sensors are designed to be compatible with different types of panels and can be easily installed by following the manufacturer's instructions. However, it is always recommended to consult with a professional before making any modifications to existing panels.