Creating Graphs in C++: A Beginner's Guide

• C/C++
  • Thread starter taylrl3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphs
In summary: There are lots of libraries and tutorials on C++ graphics. Try Google, or look through your library's documentation. In summary, you can display data in a graph in C++ by first enabling graphics mode, defining a coordinate system, and then drawing the axes and labels. You can then use the SetPoint or Line commands to draw the curves in the coordinate system.
taylrl3
Hi,

I have just started to learn C++ after a year programming with IDL. I realize this is probably a really stupid thing to be asking but what syntax should I use to display my data. To start off with I just want to plot a simple x-y graph. I have my arrays all ready, what do I type? Can C++ even create graphs like IDL can? I'm sure it must.

Cheers

Technology news on Phys.org
C++ doesn't have a built in gui library.

You have a few options.
Write a data file and plot it with Excel/Gnuplot/etc
Write the data into an image file and display that
Learn Qt,wxWidgets or some other gui toolkit.

Thanks! I had the feeling it couldn't produce graphs directly.
How would I go writing the data out as an image file? Can I include axis etc like this?

taylrl3 said:
How would I go writing the data out as an image file? Can I include axis etc like this?
That's possibly the hardest option, you would either do it all yourself (the image is ulimtately just an array of values) or use some plotting library that could also plot to an image.
But it's a good option if you are doing some heavy number crunching type work and just need to output a map of some values.

Easiest is probably gnuplot if you need to produce publication type figures, it has a C++ interface (gunplot++) but haven't used it. You can also call it directly from your program using popen() to run the gnuplot command.

See also http://stackoverflow.com/questions/492893/graph-drawing-c-library
ps. If you are searching it's better to look for 'plot' than 'graph', in CS a graph is generally used in the maths sense, eg a heirachy of data

Last edited by a moderator:
taylrl3 said:
Hi,

I have just started to learn C++ after a year programming with IDL. I realize this is probably a really stupid thing to be asking but what syntax should I use to display my data. To start off with I just want to plot a simple x-y graph. I have my arrays all ready, what do I type? Can C++ even create graphs like IDL can? I'm sure it must.

Cheers

Surely your C++ implementation has a graphics library. I say that because I've done a lot of C++ graphics programming. And you can always create your own library with low-level (assembly) constructs by writing directly to the video memory of the output device. It's a large array. Put the right number in the right location of the array, and a pixel corresponding to that location lights up on the screen. Then take it from there although that's quite involved. Usually, though just find the high-level routines. In general it goes something like this:

enable graphics mode

define coordinate system

draw axes and labels

use SetPoint or Line command to draw curves in established coordinate system

Last edited:

Related to Creating Graphs in C++: A Beginner's Guide

1. How do I create a graph in C++?

To create a graph in C++, you will need to use a graphics library or framework, such as OpenGL or DirectX. These libraries provide functions and tools for creating and manipulating graphical elements, such as lines, shapes, and colors. You will also need to have a basic understanding of C++ programming concepts such as variables, loops, and functions to successfully create a graph.

2. Can you explain the basic structure of a graph in C++?

A graph in C++ is essentially a set of points or vertices connected by lines or edges. These vertices and edges can be represented using arrays or other data structures in C++. The graph can also have attributes or properties attached to each vertex or edge, such as a label or weight, to provide additional information.

3. How can I customize the appearance of my graph in C++?

You can customize the appearance of your graph in C++ by using different functions and tools provided by your chosen graphics library. For example, you can change the color, size, and shape of the vertices and edges, as well as add labels or other visual elements to enhance the graph's appearance.

4. Is it possible to save or export a graph created in C++?

Yes, it is possible to save or export a graph created in C++ using the appropriate functions and tools provided by your graphics library. You can save the graph as an image file or export it in a specific format that can be used in other applications.

5. Are there any resources or tutorials available for creating graphs in C++?

Yes, there are many resources and tutorials available for creating graphs in C++. You can find online tutorials, forums, and documentation for various graphics libraries, as well as books and courses specifically focused on creating graphs using C++.