Creating an Air Flow Meter Using an Iron Heating Element

In summary, the conversation is about creating an air flow meter using a heating element from an iron. The idea is to insert the element into a duct and pass air through it using a blower. The element will be connected to a 12v supply and an ammeter to measure changes in resistance and current. The accuracy of this method is questioned and alternative ideas, such as using thermometers, are suggested. The safety of using a low voltage for the heating element is also mentioned. The person is open to other ideas for making an air flow meter.
RApak

Homework Statement

i am trying to make an air flow meter using an heating element which i got from an iron..basically i have thought of inserting the element into a duct through which i will pass air using a blower,to connect the element with a 12v supply in series with a ammeter...thn i ahve planned to scale the amount of air flowing with respect to the cahnges in current tht it produces.i am not sure if i will suceed with this idea..i would like to know what others tink about it

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean to measure the changes in resistance due to self heating? I don't think that will be very accurate. I'd think you'll need an upstream and a downstream thermometer.

I hope this is an 110V heating element, that you run with such a low voltage that the temparature can't get dangerously high? Even at only 1% a heating element without attached iron can get quite hot already.

i just want to measure the air flow using the element..if i apply 12 volts across it and let air flow across it it would cool down and the resistance would change causing the current to change right??..i have to further convert the current to voltage so that i can use a micro controller ahead..if u have any other ideas of how to make an air flow meter please do post them

Related to Creating an Air Flow Meter Using an Iron Heating Element

1. How does an iron heating element measure air flow?

An iron heating element measures air flow by using a temperature sensor to detect the change in temperature caused by the air passing over it. This change in temperature is then converted into an electrical signal that can be measured and used to determine the air flow rate.

2. What materials are needed to create an air flow meter using an iron heating element?

You will need an iron heating element, a temperature sensor, an electrical circuit, and a way to measure the electrical signal. Additional materials may include a power source, a control panel, and a display screen for reading the air flow rate.

3. Can an iron heating element be used in all types of air flow measurements?

No, an iron heating element is best suited for low to medium air flow rates. For high flow rates, a different type of flow meter, such as a pitot tube, may be more appropriate.

4. How accurate is an air flow meter using an iron heating element?

The accuracy of the air flow meter will depend on the quality and calibration of the temperature sensor and the overall design of the circuit. In general, an air flow meter using an iron heating element can achieve an accuracy of around 2-3%.

5. What are the advantages of using an iron heating element for air flow measurement?

An iron heating element is relatively inexpensive and easy to obtain, making it a cost-effective option for air flow measurement. It is also highly sensitive to changes in temperature, allowing for accurate measurement of air flow rates. Additionally, the design of the flow meter can be customized to fit specific needs and applications.