Creating a Solar Model - Excel Help

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving calculating mI+1 and lI+1 at a specific point using equations (4) and (5) along with values from previous steps. The person also asks for help with columns I and J, and it is suggested to use parentheses and possibly remove the use of SUMPRODUCT. The person also mentions being unfamiliar with Excel and their professor not providing much guidance.
PeteWheatstraw

Homework Statement

The problem given is...Calculate mI+1 and lI+1 at point xI+1 using equation (5), the values of the slopes at points xI+1 and xI from equation (4), and the values of mI and lI from the previous step.

Here is a screenshot of my solar model

solarmodel_zps169d03c0.png

Homework Equations

solarmodel2_zps8032b590.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I need help with columns I and J.

For column I, I have the equation entered as =SUMPRODUCT(I2+1/2*(G3+G2)*B3-B2)

For J I have =SUMPRODUCT(J2+1/2*(H3+H2)*B3-B2)

and for some reason I'm getting negative values when as it goes down it should be getting closer to 1

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
You need parentheses around B3-B2.
(Why do you need to use sumproduct? You're not using entire arrays of numbers to calculatd a single cell, are you?)

haruspex said:
You need parentheses around B3-B2.
(Why do you need to use sumproduct? You're not using entire arrays of numbers to calculatd a single cell, are you?)

Thank you so much! I knew it was something obvious that would make me look stupid ;)

To your question...I'm not really sure. I'm excel illiterate and our professor expects us to use it without ever showing us anything.

PeteWheatstraw said:
To your question...I'm not really sure. I'm excel illiterate and our professor expects us to use it without ever showing us anything.

Try removing the SUMPRODUCT() wrapper. I don't think it's doing anything.

I would suggest checking your equations and data inputs carefully to ensure they are accurate. It may also be helpful to double check your calculations and consider using a different approach or formula if necessary. Additionally, I would recommend seeking assistance from a tutor or colleague who is familiar with Excel and solar models to help troubleshoot any issues you may be encountering. It is important to thoroughly understand the calculations and results in order to accurately interpret and analyze the data from your solar model.

Related to Creating a Solar Model - Excel Help

1. How do I create a solar model in Excel?

To create a solar model in Excel, you will need to gather data on the sun's position, the Earth's orbit, and the tilt of the Earth's axis. Then, use Excel's formulas and functions to calculate the positions of the planets and moon. You can also use charts and graphs to visualize your solar model.

2. What data do I need to create a solar model in Excel?

To create a solar model in Excel, you will need data on the sun's position, the Earth's orbit, and the tilt of the Earth's axis. This data can be found online or can be calculated using mathematical equations.

3. What are the benefits of creating a solar model in Excel?

Creating a solar model in Excel allows you to accurately visualize and analyze the movements and positions of the planets and moon in our solar system. It can also help you understand the concepts of gravity, orbit, and celestial mechanics.

4. Are there any tips for creating a solar model in Excel?

Some tips for creating a solar model in Excel include using named ranges for your data, using conditional formatting to highlight important data points, and using charts and graphs to visualize your model. You can also use macros or VBA code to automate certain processes.

5. Can I use my solar model in Excel for scientific research or education?

Yes, you can use your solar model in Excel for scientific research or education purposes. However, it is important to note that the accuracy of your model will depend on the accuracy of the data and equations used. It is always recommended to cross-check your results with other sources and to constantly update your model with new data.