Creating a Plinko Launcher for My Board: Ensuring the Puck Makes it Up

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a plinko launcher for a plinko board, with the use of a pinball type spring launcher and a bell crank. The spring used has a spring constant of 1.09lbs/in and a compression of 2in, resulting in a spring force of 9.697Newtons. The goal is to ensure that the plinko puck, weighing 4oz or .2lb, will make it up the board and into its appropriate slots. The conversation also includes calculations for the kinetic energy of the puck and determining the maximum height it can reach. The conversation concludes with a discussion on finding the potential energy of the spring before its release.
Narzu6425
I am trying to create a plinko launcher for my plinko board (as you would see in the price is right). I created a pinball type spring launcher and used a bell crank in order to change the horizontal force into a vertical force. I am using a 3.5in spring with a spring constant of 1.09lbs/in. I plan on having about 2 in of compression which results in a spring force of 9.697Newtons.

I want to ensure that the plinko will make it up the board and into its appropriate slots. I am having trouble coming up with right calculation in order to prove that the plinko puck (4oz or .2lb) will make it up the board. I also was wondering if anyone had any input of how to come up with the appropriate angle of the curve in order to ensure the plinko will make a smooth turn. Thank you all so much for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would get the work done by the spring, and then that will give you the KE of the mass.

∫f(x)dx gives you the work done by the spring

I converted to metric and here is what I got

f(x) = 190.88x
so the integral is

∫0 - .0508 95.44x2
gave me ≈.246J

If it is launched vertically you should subtract gravity .89N(gravity on puck) * .0508m = .045J

.246 - .045 = .201J Which should be the KE of the puck when it leaves the spring.
If I did my math right that will only give you .23m(8.9in) of height. So depends on the height of your board, and if it contacts anything on the way up(slides up a slanted surface or anything) You should also subtract the work done by friction.

Thank you for the quick response! I am going to give this a shot and see what I can come up with.

I realized that I will need much more height than that so I think I am going to try a spring with a different K value. Unfortunately the launcher has too be place within tight constraints so I can't increase the x value for compression.

One more quick question...Once i find my Kinetic energy how do I determine my maximum height?

Do I find the initial velocity first and then use gravity as a negative acceleration?

Just find the potential energy in the spring before it is released,
[tex] PE = \frac{1}{2}kx^2 [/tex]
Where [itex]k[/itex] is the spring constant and [itex]x[/itex] is the distance it is compressed. This value is then equal to,
[tex]mg(h - \cos (\theta) \mu d) [/tex]
With [itex]m[/itex] being the mass of the puck, [itex]g[/itex] being the gravitational force, [itex]h[/itex] being the height that it moves up, [itex]\theta[/itex] being the angle of any surface the puck moves against measured from the ground, [itex]\mu[/itex] being the constant of kinetic friction for the surface and the puck and [itex]d[/itex] being the distance it moves along this surface.

Awesome, thank you! I was able to figure out my calculations from all of your help :)

Related to Creating a Plinko Launcher for My Board: Ensuring the Puck Makes it Up

1. How does a Plinko launcher work?

A Plinko launcher is a device that uses a spring-loaded mechanism to launch a puck or ball up a vertical board. The puck is placed in the bottom of the launcher and when the spring is released, it propels the puck upwards. The force of the spring determines the height and distance the puck will travel.

2. What materials are needed to create a Plinko launcher?

To create a Plinko launcher, you will need a sturdy board, a spring, a trigger mechanism, and a puck or ball. You may also need tools such as a saw, hammer, and nails to assemble the launcher.

3. How can I ensure the puck makes it up the board every time?

The key to ensuring the puck makes it up the board every time is to test and adjust the tension of the spring. The spring should be strong enough to propel the puck upwards, but not too strong that it shoots the puck off the board. It may take some trial and error to find the perfect tension for your launcher.

4. Can I customize my Plinko launcher with different features?

Yes, you can customize your Plinko launcher with different features such as adding obstacles or ramps to the board to change the trajectory of the puck. You can also experiment with different types of springs to see how they affect the puck's movement.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a Plinko launcher?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when using a Plinko launcher. Always wear protective eyewear and make sure the area around the launcher is clear of any objects or people. It is also important to supervise children when they are using the launcher to prevent any accidents.