Creating a Paper Egg Drop: Challenges & Ideas

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker needing help with ideas for their egg drop experiment. They are considering constructing a small box cushioned with toilet paper or tissue paper and lined with folded paper, but are unsure if it will work due to the size and weight restrictions. They also mention the possibility of attaching a parachute or wings to the apparatus. Another suggestion is to make a collapsing box, but they are unsure of how to make it. They ask if anyone has a diagram or can describe how to make it.
ladyviolinist21
yes, the famous egg drop experiment. i really need help with ideas on what to construct...i was thinking that i would put a small box cushioned inside with toilet paper or tissue paper and lined with folded(like an accordion) paper / inside a bigger...the problem is:
• The over all dimensions can be no larger than 14 cm
• The over all weight (without the egg) can not exceed 35 grams.
• The egg must survive a 4 Meter fall onto a hard surface.
• The apparatus must be made of paper or paper products
with the small amount of weight it can be, I am not sure it would work...i was also thinking that maybe i should make a parachute to attach to it...or put "wings"

any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
or maybe attach a parachute?
ideas??

but then that...wouldn't work either since it can only be 14 cm...

You should make something like this:

Attachments

• egg3.JPG
    egg3.JPG
    10.5 KB · Views: 567
I'm not sure if I'm supposed to do click on anything on that last post...it says attachments pending approval? anyways...i went around asking other people about this today and a friend suggested that i should make a collapsing box? has anyone ever tried making one? I'm not really sure what it is...

A box with a concertina layer of tissue paper on which the egg rests

do you (or anyone) have a diagram for this? could you describe how to make one?

is it something like this?

Attachments

• efrantipsaver.jpg
    efrantipsaver.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 569

Related to Creating a Paper Egg Drop: Challenges & Ideas

1. What is a paper egg drop?

A paper egg drop is a science experiment that involves building a protective casing for an egg using only paper and tape. The goal is to create a structure that will prevent the egg from breaking when dropped from a certain height.

2. What materials do I need for a paper egg drop?

You will need paper (such as newspaper, tissue paper, or cardstock) and tape (such as masking tape or duct tape). You may also want to have scissors and other decorative materials on hand for designing your egg drop.

3. What are some challenges in creating a successful paper egg drop?

One of the main challenges in a paper egg drop is creating a structure that is strong enough to protect the egg, but also lightweight enough to not increase the impact force when dropped. Other challenges include balancing the weight distribution and creating a design that will allow the egg to survive the impact.

4. What are some ideas for creating a successful paper egg drop?

Some ideas for creating a successful paper egg drop include using a combination of different types of paper for added strength, creating a cushioning layer using tissue paper or cotton balls, and incorporating shapes or designs that will distribute the impact force evenly.

5. How can I make my paper egg drop more challenging?

To make your paper egg drop more challenging, you can increase the height from which the egg is dropped, use only a limited amount of tape, or add additional rules such as a time limit for building or a maximum weight limit for the structure.