Creating a Low-Friction Box with Magnetic Tracks

In summary, a magnetic track designed to minimize friction can be counterproductive, and there are other ways to achieve the same goal.
RetroSpectrum7
Hello all,

This is my first post here, so please let me know if I'm not in the right section, as I wasn't 100% sure if this was the right place.

I'm making a box that can change volume quickly with an actuator for a small project.
But I need to minimize the friction in moving the wall of the box.

Is there a way to make a magnetic track for the wall to 'slide' on? I don't mind if there are boards sticking out the back of the 'wall' to help balance it (I was going to put wheels on it originally), I just need the inside of the box to be box-like.
I've seen small projects like this:
http://www.miniscience.com/kits/maglev/train.html

What if I basically made a track for the wall like that, placed magnets on the right and left so that it wasn't touching the sides, and pushed it? Would it get stuck?

Untitled.png

Is there a way to maybe produce two rails that could attach to the wall that would have nearly no friction? Like below?

Untitled.png

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi RetroSpectrum7, http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

Attaching magnets will increase the mass of the moving side; is that likely to upset your plans that movement be speedy? How heavy is the moveable side?

Last edited by a moderator:
... it also won't be air-tight.

There's all sorts of stuff you can do with magnets - like you could exploit diamagnetic levitation. You pic of the railing looks interesting - just rotate the inner 45 degrees.

There's something nagging the back of my mind about rapidly accelerating magnets inducing funny fields meaning it may be counter productive.

The simple answer to your question:
Is there a way to make a magnetic track for the wall to 'slide' on?
... is "yes", there are lots of ways.

But I'm with NascentOxygen - it could be counterproductive.
I'm not sure you are addressing your design constraints - how fast do you want to move the wall? What are your energy restrictions? How big is this wall? ... and so on.

The box should be 3 foot x 3 foot on the open side.
I suspected that might be the case, that it might not be something I could do effectively without making things more difficult.

Thank you guys for the response, I'm going to give this one up and go with some ball bearings, and mount the box's wall on some drawer sliders instead.

Hello there,

Thank you for sharing your project idea with us. I can definitely offer some insights on creating a low-friction box with magnetic tracks.

Firstly, using magnetic tracks for the wall of the box to slide on is a great idea. This would significantly reduce friction and make the movement smoother. However, it is important to consider the strength of the magnets and the weight of the wall to ensure that it does not get stuck. You may need to experiment with different magnet strengths and wall weights to find the optimal combination.

Another option to consider is using a type of lubricant, such as a dry lubricant or Teflon spray, on the tracks to further reduce friction. This could also help with any potential sticking issues.

In terms of producing two rails with minimal friction, you could look into using materials with low coefficients of friction, such as Teflon or UHMW (ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene). These materials are commonly used in industrial applications for their low friction properties.

I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck with your project. Let us know how it turns out!

Related to Creating a Low-Friction Box with Magnetic Tracks

1. How does a low-friction box with magnetic tracks work?

A low-friction box with magnetic tracks works by using the principles of magnetism to reduce friction between the box and the tracks. The box is fitted with magnets on its bottom surface, and the tracks are lined with magnets as well. The like poles of the magnets repel each other, creating a levitation effect that reduces the contact between the box and the tracks, resulting in less friction.

2. What are the benefits of using a low-friction box with magnetic tracks?

There are several benefits to using a low-friction box with magnetic tracks. Firstly, it reduces the amount of force needed to move the box, making it easier to transport and handle. Secondly, it can increase the speed and efficiency of the box's movement along the tracks. Additionally, it can reduce wear and tear on both the box and the tracks, resulting in longer-lasting equipment.

3. Is it possible to control the speed of the low-friction box with magnetic tracks?

Yes, the speed of the box can be controlled by adjusting the strength of the magnets on the box and the tracks. The stronger the magnets, the faster the box will travel, and vice versa. This allows for precise control over the speed of the box, making it suitable for various applications.

4. Can a low-friction box with magnetic tracks be used for heavy loads?

Yes, a low-friction box with magnetic tracks can be used for heavy loads. The strength and arrangement of the magnets can be adjusted to support heavier weights. However, it is essential to ensure that the tracks are properly designed and installed to handle the weight and prevent any accidents.

5. Are there any limitations to using a low-friction box with magnetic tracks?

While a low-friction box with magnetic tracks can provide many benefits, there are some limitations to consider. Firstly, it requires a power source to operate the magnets, which may not be suitable for all situations. Additionally, the tracks must be kept clean and free of debris to maintain the smooth movement of the box. The box may also be limited in the types of surfaces it can travel on, as it requires a smooth and flat track to function properly.