Creating a Fictional Recipe for Hydrogen Sulphide in a Video Game

• Thread starter Harvester_82
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hydrogen
In summary, Remi is a game developer who is asking for input on a puzzle in her new game, The Cat Lady. She is wondering if it is ethical to give players a recipe for death like that. She wants to know what ingredient would work best to make it look like a believable lie. She asks for suggestions from the community.
Harvester_82
Hi, my name is Remi, I'm a game developer from Harvester Games. I have an important question regarding hydrogen sulphide. Do not worry- I am not planning to commit suicide with it, but I need it for a puzzle in my new game, The Cat Lady.

At some point in the game the game's protagonist is required to combine two household chemicals to kill a man who kidnapped her. There is a whole theme in the game regarding famous japanese suicide method and that's why she knows how to make it. From my research I've found that it can be made by combining bleach and pesticide... but I'm not sure it's ethical to give players a recipe for death like that... Is it?... Anyway, I thought I'd swap pesticide for a different ingredient, something that in real life wouldn't kill anyone. But which ingredient could it be, to make it look like a "believable lie"? What I'm after is what Stephen King did with his fictional painkillers that Paul SHeldon was being fed by Ann in Misery. A made up recipe which is harmless, yet not completely out of this world and laughable ( like bleach + strawberry jam for instance... that's just stupid..;))

I'd appreciate suggestions from you guys, since my chemical knowledge is minimal.

Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Remi! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Harvester_82 said:
… I thought I'd swap pesticide for a different ingredient, something that in real life wouldn't kill anyone. But which ingredient could it be, to make it look like a "believable lie"?

How about using an allergy?

eg she discovers he is allergic to peanuts, and she manages to make peanut oil from ingredients she finds in the … erm :rolleyes:

ooh, you're the writer! :biggrin:

No, I'm afraid it's got to be gas poisoning to fit with the over-arching stryline... She sneaks behind the killer unnoticed and mixes the chemicals... So, I guess if anyone has other ideas?

Allergy is not powerful enough. He might as well die of cold.. ;) But thanks for your input, Tim:)

oh, gas!

but then how come she isn't poisoned also? :confused:

(and won't he notice the smell?)​

She is wearing a gas mask. As for the smell, I was hoping by the time he'd noticed it would be too late?... Actually, how long does it take to knock someone down with this stuff?

She puts on a mask the killer was wearing when he kidnapped her. Here's a reference screenshot:

Uccov.jpg

t9erT.png

But that's irrelevant. What I need to know is 1) What I asked in the first post, 2) What would it look like if she sneaked in behind him in the same room, put on a mask, poured two chemicals into a bucket. I know this gas is colourless and stinks badly. But how would he react? Would he start choking? Rolling on the floor? Have enough time to get to her and attack? If he shot a gun, would the room go on fire?...

Related to Creating a Fictional Recipe for Hydrogen Sulphide in a Video Game

1. What is hydrogen sulphide and where does it come from?

Hydrogen sulphide (H2S) is a colorless and highly toxic gas that has a distinct rotten egg smell. It is naturally produced by the decomposition of organic matter, such as in swamps, sewers, and landfills. It can also be found in some industrial processes and natural gas production.

2. Is hydrogen sulphide harmful to human health?

Yes, hydrogen sulphide is extremely toxic to humans. Exposure to high levels of H2S can cause dizziness, nausea, headaches, and even death. Long-term exposure can also lead to more serious health issues such as respiratory and neurological problems.

3. How is hydrogen sulphide detected and measured?

Hydrogen sulphide can be detected and measured using specialized equipment such as gas detectors or colorimetric tubes. These devices can accurately measure the concentration of H2S in the air and provide warnings when levels become dangerous.

4. What are the potential environmental impacts of hydrogen sulphide?

Hydrogen sulphide can have harmful effects on the environment, especially in high concentrations. It can be toxic to aquatic life and can also contribute to acid rain formation. In addition, H2S emissions can also contribute to the formation of smog and harm plant life.

5. How can hydrogen sulphide exposure be prevented?

To prevent exposure to hydrogen sulphide, it is important to have proper ventilation and monitoring systems in place in areas where it may be present. Personal protective equipment, such as respirators and gas masks, should also be worn when working in environments with high levels of H2S. Proper training and education on handling and detecting hydrogen sulphide is also crucial in preventing exposure and potential health risks.

Back