Creating a Degausser to Reduce Magnetic Field Strength

In summary, the conversation is about a component made of stamped steel with a high magnetic field that is affecting a sensitive sensor. The use of a degausser is suggested, but the person has tried a tape eraser and considered making a coil, with no success. Other suggestions include using a solenoid with AC current or contacting a data security business for a large degausser. The idea of annealing or using mu metal is deemed not possible.
mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I have a component made of some sort of stamped steel which has a significant magnetic field (upto 2000mGa) which I need to use near a sensitive magnetic sensor. The field is high enough to saturate the sensor so I can't calibrate it out.

Does anyone have any idea about degaussing?
I tried a tape eraser we had but it didn't do anything.
I thought of making one, by wrapping a coil around the part - but I have no idea of what kind of field strength or frequency to use.

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess getting the steel annealed and/or wrapping it in a mu metal is out of the question?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I guess getting the steel annealed and/or wrapping it in a mu metal is out of the question?
Yes, unfortunately it's part of a component that we can't change.

Put it in a solenoid with AC current. Then slowly decreasing the current should decrease the magnetization.

Go to an old-fashioned TV repair shop and borrow a degausser, or contact a data security business. They may have large degaussers suitable for bulk erasure of magnetic media.

Related to Creating a Degausser to Reduce Magnetic Field Strength

1. What is a degausser and how does it work?

A degausser is a device used to reduce the strength of a magnetic field. It works by generating an alternating magnetic field that cancels out the existing magnetic field, effectively demagnetizing any magnetic material in its vicinity.

2. Why is reducing magnetic field strength important?

Magnetic fields can interfere with electronic devices and cause data corruption or equipment malfunction. By reducing the magnetic field strength, we can prevent these issues and ensure the proper functioning of electronic devices.

3. What materials can a degausser be used on?

Degaussers can be used on a wide range of materials, including hard drives, tapes, credit cards, and other magnetic media. They can also be used on bulk materials such as steel and iron to remove any residual magnetism.

4. Are there any safety concerns when using a degausser?

Yes, there are safety concerns when using a degausser, as it generates a strong magnetic field. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and wear appropriate protective gear to avoid any potential harm.

5. Can a degausser completely eliminate a magnetic field?

No, a degausser can only reduce the magnetic field strength, not eliminate it completely. The residual magnetism will still be present, but at a much lower level than before. To completely eliminate a magnetic field, the material would need to be heated above its Curie temperature.