Create Laser Line Effect Using Prisms and a Torch

• Thread starter clubturbo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, the individual is looking for a way to create a laser-like light effect using a regular torch instead of a laser diode. They have heard that this can be achieved by using glass prisms to project a bright white line of light against a wall. However, there are limitations to using a torch as a light source and using prisms may not give the desired effect. Further experimentation with different shapes of glass may be necessary.
clubturbo
Light and prisms...

Hi,

I'm trying to create an light effect similar to a laser line generator (like you find on laser spirit levels). but I want to use a regular torch rather than a laser diode. I heard somewhere you can replicate this effect using glass prisms to project a bright white line of light agains a wall. Any ideas?

cheers

Clubturbo

Science news on Phys.org

I am unaware of any device that does this- line generators can be either cylindrical lenses or more commonly diffractive elements. Neither will work for a broadband source, chromatic dispersion will give you lots of pretty rainbows (which is fine, but probably not what you want).

Another problem with using a torch (flashlight?) is that the radiance (the angular spread of light emission) is significantly different than a laser- without getting into details, oftentimes a laser is treated as a point source in a design, and since a filament (or filament + reflector) is not a point source, using a filament in a design optimized for a point source leads to a lot of aberrations.

Hi,

I see what you mean, I had this idea because I saw a straight beam of daylight projected on a wall through a wine glass, the wine glass had a decorative chamfer patten cut into its surface. I was wondering if this could replicated with a flashlight and prisms? If so what prisms would I need. Guess I need to experiment with different shapes of glass.

cheers

Clubturbo

Related to Create Laser Line Effect Using Prisms and a Torch

What materials do I need to create a laser line effect using prisms and a torch?

To create a laser line effect, you will need a prism, a torch or laser pointer, a dark room, and a flat surface to project the light onto.

How do I set up the experiment?

Set up the experiment in a dark room with a flat surface, such as a table. Place the prism on the table and shine the light from the torch or laser pointer through one side of the prism.

What is the purpose of using a prism in this experiment?

A prism is used to bend the light and create a spectrum of colors. When the light passes through the prism, it is refracted and separated into its component colors.

How do I adjust the laser line effect?

To adjust the laser line effect, you can move the prism closer or further away from the light source, tilt the prism, or change the angle of the light entering the prism.

Is there any safety precautions I should take when conducting this experiment?

Yes, it is important to handle the torch or laser pointer with caution and avoid shining it directly into anyone's eyes. It is also recommended to conduct the experiment in a well-ventilated area to prevent any potential fire hazards.