Create an expression for a rotating plate

In summary, a flat, circular plate with a mass of Mp, radius of Rp, and thickness of Tp rotates parallel to the surface of the Earth on a frictionless axle. As it spins, a point on the top of the disc traces a circle each time the plate completes a rotation. To describe the speed of a point on the surface of the plate in m/s, the expression v(N)=60Rp/N can be used, where N represents the number of rotations per minute. This can be derived from the equation v=ωr, where ω represents the angular velocity in radians per second. To convert from rpm to ω, the conversion of 1 rpm to 2π rad/60s can be used.
apierron
A flat, circular plate (mass Mp, radius Rp, thickness Tp) rotates parallel to the surface of the Earth on a frictionless axle. As it spins, a point on the top of the disc traces a circle each time the plate completes a rotation.

in terms of the number of rotations per minute (N/min), create an expression to describe the speed of a point on the surface of the plate in units of m/s. In other words, what is v(N) if v has units of m/s? Hint: look at your units.

I'm thinking you need to use an equation that deals with centripetal force but I'm not sure

I'm hitting a brick wall here and need some major help. I don't even know where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
In circular motion, what's the relationship between:

ω, r and v?
rpm and ω?

This sounds bad but I don't know what w represents

apierron said:
This sounds bad but I don't know what w represents

No problem! ω is the angular velocity, the rate of rotation in radians per second.

Okay so what I found is v= ωr so I came up with v(N)=2(pi)Rp/N but since he says N is rotations per minute I divided that by 60 to get v(N)=120(pi)Rp/N so that my units are in m/s Does this seem right?

apierron said:
Okay so what I found is v= ωr so I came up with v(N)=2(pi)Rp/N but since he says N is rotations per minute I divided that by 60 to get v(N)=120(pi)Rp/N so that my units are in m/s Does this seem right?

You're getting there. Your equation v= ωr is fine. Just what you need. There's a bit of a problem with your velocity expression though, having to do with the unit conversions.

The thing to do first is to concentrate on the conversion of rpm to ω in radians per second.

A good way to approach these sorts of conversions is to construct a series of unit conversions in the form of unity-valued ratios (fractions whose numerator and denominator express the same value but in different units).

So, for example, to convert n hours to seconds you might write:

[tex] n \; hr \times \frac{60 min}{hr} \times \frac{60 sec}{min} = n \times 3600 sec [/tex]

Note how the hour and minute units mutually cancel along the way leaving seconds as the units. Also note how each fraction represents the same value but in different units (thus 60 minutes is the same as 1 hour).

See if you can do the same thing for the conversion of N revs/min to radians per second.

so 1 rpm is 2pi radians/60 s, so now I have v(N)=60Rp/N... better?

apierron said:
so 1 rpm is 2pi radians/60 s, so now I have v(N)=60Rp/N... better?

If N starts out as the number of rpm, how does it end up in the denominator of the expression? Does it make sense that angular velocity would get smaller if rpm gets bigger?

If you've got 1 rpm → 2∏ rad/60s = 0.10472 rad/s, then N x 1rpm is?

Presumably the radial position of the point on the plate can be anywhere between the center of the plate (r = 0) and the edge of the plate (r = Rp). So you'll want to use r for the radius variable in velocity expression.

Each rotation, the point travels a distance equal to the circumference of the circle it describes- [itex]2\pi r[/itex] meters is r is measured in meters. If the disk is turning at "n" revolutions per minute, it does that n times per minute. That is, it travels a distance [itex]2n\pi r[/itex] meters per minute.

Related to Create an expression for a rotating plate

1. What is the formula for calculating the angular velocity of a rotating plate?

The formula for calculating the angular velocity of a rotating plate is ω = θ/t, where ω represents the angular velocity, θ is the angular displacement, and t is the time taken for the displacement to occur.

2. How do you find the moment of inertia of a rotating plate?

The moment of inertia of a rotating plate can be found by using the formula I = 1/2mr², where I represents the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the plate, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the edge of the plate.

3. Can you explain the Coriolis effect in relation to a rotating plate?

The Coriolis effect is a phenomenon that occurs when an object moves in a rotating reference frame. In the case of a rotating plate, the Coriolis force acts on objects that are moving on the plate, causing them to deviate from a straight path and move in a curved path instead.

4. How does the shape of a rotating plate affect its rotational dynamics?

The shape of a rotating plate can affect its rotational dynamics in various ways. For instance, a plate with a larger radius will have a greater moment of inertia, making it more difficult to rotate. Additionally, the shape of the plate can also affect the distribution of mass, which can impact its stability and rotational speed.

5. What factors can cause a rotating plate to experience friction and reduce its rotational speed?

Several factors can cause a rotating plate to experience friction and reduce its rotational speed. These include the type of material the plate is made of, the surface it is rotating on, and the presence of external forces such as air resistance. Additionally, the shape and size of the plate can also play a role in the amount of friction it experiences.