Create a Simple Indicator System for a 6V Toy Car

• Thread starter QuincyLoony
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car System
In summary, you are looking to add an indicator system to a toy car for when your son is driving it, but you are worried about the possibility of the system breaking and becoming a choking hazard.
QuincyLoony
Hello,

I have a 6V toy car which my 3 year old son drives. I wanted to add a little something to the car itself.
I wanted to add an indicator system where he can press a button on a remote (the motherboard of the remote I can place into a real-looking car key) and the indicators (2 LEDs) can turn on and start flashing.

I basically need to learn how to create a circuit with a battery, 2 LEDs and wireless switch (connected to a remote). I also would need to know what to buy and how to bring it all together.

I do not have great knowledge about anything complicated so if it could be kept simple, that would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Not that you asked, but I advise against it.
You are talking about adding parts to a child's toy that could break off and become a choking hazard.

Well, the child is 3 years old, so hopefully choking hazards are less of an issue... :smile:

QuincyLoony said:
Hello,

I have a 6V toy car which my 3 year old son drives. I wanted to add a little something to the car itself.
I wanted to add an indicator system where he can press a button on a remote (the motherboard of the remote I can place into a real-looking car key) and the indicators (2 LEDs) can turn on and start flashing.

I basically need to learn how to create a circuit with a battery, 2 LEDs and wireless switch (connected to a remote). I also would need to know what to buy and how to bring it all together.

I do not have great knowledge about anything complicated so if it could be kept simple, that would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance
Welcome to the PF.

I started to google RF Remote Control... and Google suggested RF Remote Control Light Switch. One of the Google Ads that popped up on the right side of my display was this:

https://www.adafruit.com/products/1392?gclid=COGR4dH1xcoCFQ9afgodPi8B-g

Looks pretty close to what you want to do. :smile:

Likes QuincyLoony
The link seems fabulous. Thank you very much Berkeman.

He is 3 but also almost 4 and he won't be using it without me. In the worst case scenario, he will be safe throughout. Thank you for the share in concern.

Related to Create a Simple Indicator System for a 6V Toy Car

1. How do I create a simple indicator system for a 6V toy car?

To create a simple indicator system for a 6V toy car, you will need to assemble a few basic components. These include a battery, an LED light, a switch, and some wires. You will then need to connect the positive terminal of the battery to one end of the switch, and the other end of the switch to the positive leg of the LED light. Finally, connect the negative leg of the LED light to the negative terminal of the battery. When you flip the switch, the indicator light should turn on.

2. Can I use any type of battery for the indicator system?

Yes, as long as the battery has a voltage of 6V, it can be used for the indicator system. This includes various types of batteries such as AA, AAA, or even a 6V rechargeable battery.

3. How do I know which leg of the LED light is positive and which is negative?

The positive leg of an LED light is typically longer and has a flat edge, while the negative leg is shorter and has a rounded edge. You can also refer to the datasheet of the specific LED light you are using for more accurate information.

4. Can I add multiple indicator lights to the system?

Yes, you can add multiple indicator lights to the system by connecting them in parallel with the first LED light. This means connecting the positive leg of each LED light to the positive terminal of the battery and the negative leg of each LED light to the negative terminal of the battery.

5. How can I make the indicator system more advanced?

To make the indicator system more advanced, you can add a resistor in series with the LED light to control its brightness. You can also use a different type of switch, such as a push button, to turn the indicator on and off. Additionally, you can add a capacitor to create a flashing effect for the indicator light.