Create a polynomial with desired characteristics, factoring

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the factor x+2 in a polynomial f with real number coefficients, given that f(0) = -16 and the leading term has a coefficient of -2. The Remainder Theorem is mentioned and the correct form of the factor is determined through finding the values of a, b, and c that satisfy the given conditions.
ducmod

Homework Statement

Hello!

I understand that this is a very simple thing, but somehow I can't find the key :)
Please, take a look a pictures attached with a problem and an answer. The task is to create a polynomial f with real number coefficients which has all of the desired characteristics.
I can't figure out how we got factor x+2.

Homework Equations

if f(o) = -16, it means that according to the Remainder Theorem the remainder from the division by (x - 0) of polynomial f should equal - 16. Well, dividing by (x-0) means dividing by x. Hence, I thought that factoring should be of the form
-2x (x - 2i) (x + 2i)

How did they arrive at x+2?
Thank you!

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-08-03 at 12.34.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-03 at 12.34.30 PM.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 438
  • Screen Shot 2015-08-03 at 12.35.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-03 at 12.35.25 PM.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 434
Physics news on Phys.org
ducmod said:

Homework Statement

Hello!

I understand that this is a very simple thing, but somehow I can't find the key :)
Please, take a look a pictures attached with a problem and an answer. The task is to create a polynomial f with real number coefficients which has all of the desired characteristics.

Homework Equations

if f(o) = -16, it means that according to the Remainder Theorem the remainder from the division by (x - 0) of polynomial f should equal - 16. Well, dividing by (x-0) means dividing by x. Hence, I thought that factoring should be of the form
-2x (x - 2i) (x + 2i)

Thank you!

If you assume the third factor is of the form (a*x + b), then what must a and b equal in order to satisfy the conditions that f(0) = -16 and that the leading term of the polynomial is -2x3 ?

Note: the third factor is (x + 2) only if a = 1 and b = 2.

ducmod said:

Homework Statement

Hello!

Homework Equations

-2x (x - 2i) (x + 2i)

Thank you!

Please type out the problem (short and easy in this case) and the solution (also pretty short in this case). The desired PF standard is to type out your work and not just post images, with exceptions made when there are diagrams or lengthy tables involved.

ducmod said:

Homework Equations

-2x (x - 2i) (x + 2i)
I don't think this is right. You might want to revisit what the Remainder Theorem says.
If f(0) = -16, and you divide the function by (x-0), you are dividing by 0 at x=0. Essentially imposing the idea that 0*g(x) = -16. That can't be right.
If you know that f(0) = -16 and the leading term has a coefficient of -2, you should be able to say that the factor has the form (-2x +a)(x+b)(x+c) with abc = -16, or as in the answer you posted -2(x+a)(x+b)(x+c) where abc = 8. Since when x=0, the only remaining term in the expanded polynomial is abc.

Related to Create a polynomial with desired characteristics, factoring

1. How do I create a polynomial with desired characteristics using factoring?

To create a polynomial with desired characteristics, you will need to use the factoring method. Start by determining the desired characteristics, such as the degree and roots of the polynomial. Then, factor the polynomial by finding the common factors and grouping the terms together. This will result in a polynomial that has the desired characteristics.

2. What are the steps involved in factoring a polynomial?

The steps involved in factoring a polynomial include:

• Determining the desired characteristics of the polynomial.
  • Identifying the greatest common factor (GCF) of the polynomial.
  • Using the distributive property to factor out the GCF.
  • Grouping terms to factor out common factors.
  • Using the difference of squares or sum/difference of cubes formulas, if applicable.
  • Checking the factored polynomial by expanding it to ensure it is equivalent to the original polynomial.

3. Can I factor a polynomial with non-integer coefficients?

Yes, you can factor a polynomial with non-integer coefficients. The factoring method remains the same, but you may need to use more advanced techniques such as the quadratic formula or completing the square if the polynomial is not easily factorable.

4. How do I know if I have factored a polynomial correctly?

You can check your factored polynomial by expanding it and ensuring it is equivalent to the original polynomial. You can also use the rational roots theorem to check if your factored polynomial has all the correct roots.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for factoring polynomials?

There are a few shortcuts and tricks that can be used for factoring polynomials, such as the difference of squares and sum/difference of cubes formulas. Additionally, memorizing common factors and patterns, as well as using the rational roots theorem, can help make factoring easier and quicker.