Create a GUI with GUIDE - Can You Edit the Output?

In summary, GUIDE generates an m-file when creating a GUI. This m-file can be used to edit the GUI, even if it was downloaded from the internet. The command for editing a specific figure is guide(gcf), where gcf means get current figure. The figure to be edited should be open when running this command.
ranger
Gold Member
Whenever we use GUIDE to create a GUI, GUIDE generates an m-file. Now,
is it possible for one to use this m-file generated by GUIDE to re-edit the GUI? I mean say I downloaded an m-file from the internet which has a GUI interface. Can I use GUIDE to edit the m-file and "tweak" the interface to my needs?

--thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I figured it out. If anyone cares, the command is guide(gcf); Where gcf means get current figure. Of course the figure you wish to edit should obviously be open when you run that command.

If the gui is saved as foo.fig -- you can edit it specifically using guide(foo)

Last edited:

Related to Create a GUI with GUIDE - Can You Edit the Output?

1. Can I customize the appearance of my GUI created with GUIDE?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of your GUI by using the various design tools available in GUIDE. You can change the layout, fonts, colors, and other visual elements to make your GUI more visually appealing.

2. Can I edit the output of my GUI after it has been created?

Yes, you can edit the output of your GUI by using the "Edit Callbacks" option in GUIDE. This allows you to modify the code associated with specific events, such as button clicks, to change the behavior of your GUI.

3. Can I add new components or elements to my GUI after it has been created?

Yes, you can add new components and elements to your GUI by using the "Layout Editor" in GUIDE. This allows you to add new buttons, text boxes, images, and other elements to your GUI.

4. Is it possible to create a GUI with multiple windows or panels?

Yes, it is possible to create a GUI with multiple windows or panels by using the "Tab Group" option in GUIDE. This allows you to organize different parts of your GUI into separate tabs, making it easier for users to navigate.

5. Can I share my GUI with others who do not have GUIDE?

Yes, you can share your GUI with others who do not have GUIDE by exporting it as a standalone application. GUIDE allows you to export your GUI as a standalone executable file that can be run on any computer without the need for MATLAB or GUIDE.