Crackpot Identified: Towing a Magnetometer East-West Across the Atlantic

• Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
In summary, the author of this paper has not published mainstream research and is considered a crackpot by many.
Andre
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=123832 has been identified as a
"speculative" (crackpot) topic

I didn't realize that this was a crackpot organisation:

http://www.scientificexploration.org/
http://www.scientificexploration.org/jse.php[/URL]

Curiously enough the crackpot has managed to publish here:

[url]http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v337/n6204/abs/337254a0.html[/url]

http://www.gsajournals.org/gsaonline/?request=get-abstract&doi=10.1130%2F0091-7613(1989)017%3C1119:NAFZDA%3E2.3.CO%3B2

It occurs that the crackpot did nothing but...

[quote]Towing a magnetometer east-west across the mid-Atlantic Ridge, [/quote]

...for his whole scientific carreer.

Is it the objective of this forum to prevent it's members to view some genuine Popperian refuting?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Some Bodily Malformations Attributed to Previous Lives
http://www.scientificexploration.org/jse/abstracts/v19n3a2.php

Certainly not mainstream material. They have a nice database of UFO papers as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I see,

I'm not happy with the fallacy density of this case being well above PF average.

1. This is non mainstream so it's a crackpot (appeal to authority - band wagon)

2. This paper also publishes metaphysicaloney implying that everything it publishes is wrong (circumstantial ad hominem)

3. The guy has published in Science and GSA Geology so he is an authority (another appeal to authority)

There is a lot of controversy in Earth science there is not a lot that is totally explained. On the contrary, numerous hypotheses are based on affirming the consequent type of fallacies. There will be a lot of mainstream refuted when more controversial evidence becomes available in due time. There is a lot already, which is conveniently ignored . If we go with fallacy number one consequently, we will not get anywhere. Therefore I would encourage to drop all fallacies and judge only if scientific methods have been used rigourously, to see whether or not something makes sense.

Last edited:
Okay, Andre, I called him a crackpot. What makes me conclude he's a crackpot? He does a decent job summarizing the history of mainstream tectonic theory in the first 4 1/2 pages --- then he strips his gears:

1) he cites the inequality in the length of spreading and subduction zones as a basis for questioning the existing model --- meaning he's never boiled water --- he's insisting that the circumference of the rising water column in the cylindrical convection cell of a pot of boiling water equal that of the sinking water in the cell --- that's a very peculiar topological argument;

2) he then rambles on, on, and on, and on, on, and on about a miscellaneous mish-mash of data, and gets to page 489 (25 of the PDF file) where he makes an assertion "That the Earth is cooling is a given," without specifying a cooling rate, or referring to crustal heat flows measured in mW/m2, or the cooling time required for 1 K changes in temperature (O(1011 - 1012 a) necessary to produce a single km scale feature --- not paying too much attention to the physics, is he?​

Bottom line? He might have done some fantastic work in his days towing a magnetometer, but he's slipped his moorings for the last voyage --- I don't like seeing such things, and I hate to have to point it out (that day's coming for me --- not soon, I hope --- Mother Nature does to us all whatever she's going to do), but that's what this particular hypothesis amounts to --- senile, or Alzheimer's, maunderings of someone who's lost it.

Andre said:
So I see,

I'm not happy with the fallacy density of this case being well above PF average.

1. This is non mainstream so it's a crackpot (appeal to authority - band wagon)

2. This paper also publishes metaphysicaloney implying that everything it publishes is wrong (circumstantial ad hominem)

3. The guy has published in Science and GSA Geology so he is an authority (another appeal to authority)

There is a lot of controversy in Earth science there is not a lot that is totally explained. On the contrary, numerous hypotheses are based on affirming the consequent type of fallacies. There will be a lot of mainstream refuted when more controversial evidence becomes available in due time. There is a lot already, which is conveniently ignored . If we go with fallacy number one consequently, we will not get anywhere. Therefore I would encourage to drop all fallacies and judge only if scientific methods have been used rigourously, to see whether or not something makes sense.

I follow some of the work at the Society for Scientific Exploration, but I also know that it is considered fringe. Since I know the difference, it stays in the S&D forum. To the best of my knowledge this has never been allowed as a reference in any other forum here. You are welcome to post in S&D within the context of unexplained phenomena.

Last edited:
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa003&articleID=000B7BF5-9CFF-14BE-9CFF83414B7F0000&ref=rss

Related to Crackpot Identified: Towing a Magnetometer East-West Across the Atlantic

What is the purpose of towing a magnetometer east-west across the Atlantic?

The purpose of this experiment is to study the Earth's magnetic field and its variation across the Atlantic Ocean. By towing a magnetometer behind a ship, scientists can collect data on the magnetic field strength and direction at different locations along the journey.

Why is this experiment considered to be controversial?

This experiment is considered controversial because it challenges the traditional understanding of the Earth's magnetic field. The results of this experiment suggest that the Earth's magnetic field may not be as stable as previously thought.

What equipment is used to collect data in this experiment?

The main equipment used in this experiment is a magnetometer, which is a device that measures the strength and direction of magnetic fields. The magnetometer is attached to a tow line and dragged behind the ship as it travels across the Atlantic.

What are some potential implications of the results from this experiment?

If the results from this experiment are confirmed, it could lead to a re-evaluation of our understanding of the Earth's magnetic field and its behavior. This could have implications for navigation, as well as our understanding of the Earth's interior and its geological processes.

How can this experiment be replicated or further studied?

This experiment can be replicated by towing a magnetometer across other bodies of water, such as the Pacific or Indian Ocean, to see if similar results are observed. It can also be further studied by comparing the results to data collected from other sources, such as satellites or land-based measurements.

Back