Covariant Maxwell Equations in Materials

In summary: I suggest you check it out.In summary, the covariant Maxwell equations describe the non-homogeneous Maxwell equations in terms of the tensor defined above. The equations are messy because they require special treatment for materials that have non-linear properties. The book "Foundations of Electrodynamics" by P. Moon and D. E. Spencer discusses the equations in great detail.
EsPg
Hi everybody,

I have this simple question. ¿Where can I find the covariant maxwell equations in materials?. I've already one and proved they correctly represent the non-homogene maxwell equations, is this one

[tex]\partial_{\nu}F^{\nu\mu}+\Pi^{\mu\nu}A_{\nu}=J^{\mu}_{libre}[/tex]

with the tensor defined as

[tex]\Pi_{\mu\nu}&=\chi_e(\eta_{\mu\nu}\partial^2 -\partial^{\mu}\partial^{\mu})-\de{\chi_e+\frac{\chi_m}{1+\chi_m}}\eta_{\mu l}\eta_{\nu m}(\delta_{lm}\bigtriangledown^2-\partial_{l}\partial_{m})[/tex]

I need the other one. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
¿Nobody? I've been checking Landau's book but i can't find them :'(. There's a Wikipedia article but it's all messed,maybe after this and on vacation I fix it.

They're described and analyzed here: "Foundations of Electrodynamics" by P. Moon and D. E. Spencer.

But the whole situation becomes extremely messy as most every physical parameter including permittivity and permeability becomes skewed due to the attempt to accommodate the Lorentz Transformation.

PhilDSP said:
They're described and analyzed here: "Foundations of Electrodynamics" by P. Moon and D. E. Spencer.

But the whole situation becomes extremely messy as most every physical parameter including permittivity and permeability becomes skewed due to the attempt to accommodate the Lorentz Transformation.

Thanks. The problem is that i haven't been able to check that book, it's neither in the library nor online. ¿Any other place?

You may be able to get some insight from Post's "Formal Structure of Electromagnetics".

I think the other one is identically equal to the equation in vacuo.
However, your equation does seem to be rather specialized. E.g. , a splitting into chi_e and chi_m seems only to be true in linear electrodynamics of non-chiral materials. Furthermore, it neglects spatial dispersion. All is discussed very well in the book of Landau.

Related to Covariant Maxwell Equations in Materials

1. What are the Maxwell equations in materials?

The Maxwell equations in materials refer to the set of four partial differential equations that describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields in materials. These equations were derived by James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and are fundamental to understanding the behavior of electricity and magnetism in materials.

2. How do the Maxwell equations in materials differ from the original Maxwell equations?

The original Maxwell equations, also known as the vacuum Maxwell equations, describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields in a vacuum. The covariant Maxwell equations in materials take into account the presence of matter and how it affects the behavior of electromagnetic fields.

3. What is the significance of the covariant form of the Maxwell equations in materials?

The covariant form of the Maxwell equations in materials is significant because it allows for a more unified and consistent description of electromagnetic phenomena in both vacuum and materials. It also allows for the inclusion of special relativity and the concept of spacetime in the equations.

4. What are some applications of the covariant Maxwell equations in materials?

The covariant Maxwell equations in materials have applications in a wide range of fields, including materials science, electrical engineering, and optics. They are used to understand the behavior of electromagnetic devices such as antennas, lasers, and sensors, and are also important in the study of materials with unique electromagnetic properties, such as metamaterials.

5. Are the covariant Maxwell equations in materials experimentally verified?

Yes, the covariant Maxwell equations in materials have been extensively tested and verified through experiments and observations. They have been shown to accurately predict the behavior of electromagnetic fields in various materials and under different conditions, making them a valuable tool in understanding and designing materials with specific electromagnetic properties.