Covariant Derivative and metric tensor

In summary: Then you can solve for the connection explicitly in terms of the metric and its derivatives. If you don't get it you can consult e.g. Carroll's notes on GR.I have the feeling that you don't get the point of this calculation in the first place. What you want in GR is to write the connection in terms...of the metric.That is correct. You can write the connection in terms of the metric and its derivatives, using the Christoffel symbols.
GRstudent
Hi all,

I am wondering if it is possible to derive the definition of a Christoffel symbols using the Covariant Derivative of the Metric Tensor. If yes, can I get a step-by-step solution?

Thanks!

Joe W.

Physics news on Phys.org
You know [itex]\triangledown _{\mu }g_{\alpha \beta } = 0[/itex] so permute the indexes, [itex]\triangledown _{\mu }g_{\alpha \beta } = 0, \triangledown _{\alpha }g_{\mu \beta } = 0,\triangledown _{\beta }g_{\alpha \mu } = 0 [/itex]. Then just write out each one, [itex]\triangledown _{\mu }g_{\alpha \beta } = \partial _{\mu }g_{\alpha \beta } - \Gamma ^{\sigma }_{\alpha \mu }g_{\sigma \beta } - \Gamma ^{\sigma }_{\beta \mu }g_{\alpha \sigma }[/itex] and similarly for the other two. Subtract the expressions for [itex]\triangledown _{\mu }g_{\alpha \beta }[/itex] and [itex]\triangledown _{\alpha }g_{\mu \beta } [/itex] and add the result to the expression for [itex]\triangledown _{\beta }g_{\alpha \mu }[/itex] and after using the symmetry of the christoffel symbols on the lower two indexes you get [itex]\partial _{\mu }g_{\alpha \beta } + \partial _{\beta }g_{\alpha \mu } - \partial _{\alpha}g_{\mu \beta } -2\Gamma ^{\sigma }_{\mu \beta }g_{\alpha \sigma } = 0 [/itex]. So you just solve for the Christoffel symbols (multiply both sides by [itex]g^{\alpha \sigma } [/itex] to just get [itex] \Gamma ^{\sigma }_{\mu \beta }\delta ^{\sigma}_{\sigma } = \Gamma ^{\sigma }_{\mu \beta }[/itex]) and you have your usual expression for the Christoffel symbols in terms of the metric.

Thanks for reply.

But I would like to have Christofell symbols in terms of the metric to be pluged in this equation. I mean, prove that covariant derivative of the metric tensor is zero by using metric tensors for Gammas in the equation.

Last edited:
GRstudent said:
Thanks for reply.

But I would like to have Christofell symbols in terms of the metric to be pluged in this equation. I mean, prove that covariant derivative of the metric tensor is zero by using metric tensors for Gammas in the equation.

Well, plug the Christoffel symbol (the ( ) indicate symmetrization of the indices with weight one)
[tex]
\Gamma^{\lambda}_{\rho\mu} = \frac{1}{2}g^{\lambda\sigma} \Bigl( 2\partial_{(\rho}g_{\mu)\sigma} - \partial_{\sigma}g_{\rho\mu} \Bigr)
[/tex]
into the definition of the covariant derivative of the metric and write it out.
[tex]
\nabla_{\rho}g_{\mu\nu} = \partial_{\rho}g_{\mu\nu} - 2 \Gamma^{\lambda}_{\rho(\mu}g_{\nu)\lambda} \\
= \partial_{\rho}g_{\mu\nu} - \partial_{\rho}g_{\mu\nu} - \partial_{(\mu}g_{\nu)\rho} +
\partial_{(\nu}g_{\mu)\rho} = 0
[/tex]
This is really a textbook question, so it would help if you point out what your precise problem is.

Thank you!

It is not from textbook; it was from Susskind Lecture 5 on GR. He asked students to prove what you just did.

Also, what is the solution of WannaBeNewton's method? (post above) It only shows that Gammas are symmetric but it doesn't get the metric definition.

\Gamma ^{\sigma }_{\mu \beta }\delta ^{\sigma}_{\sigma } = \Gamma ^{\sigma }_{\mu \beta }

What I should do next?

GRstudent said:
Thank you!

It is not from textbook; it was from Susskind Lecture 5 on GR. He asked students to prove what you just did.

Also, what is the solution of WannaBeNewton's method? (post above)
The Christoffel symbols I mentioned in my post. Just do the calculation as he shows you.

Let me elaborate. Normally in GR you state that

1) The metric is covariantly constant
2) The connection is symmetric in its lower indices

The interesting thing for you to do then is the calculation WannabeNewton mentions, using (2) that the connection is symmetric. That really allows you to solve for the connection explicitly in terms of the metric and its derivatives. If you don't get it you can consult e.g. Carroll's notes on GR. The calculation I showed you is then just a simple check.

-edit WannabeNewton makes index mistakes; just check the calculation in Carroll's notes.

I didn't understand the last instruction "So you just solve for the Christoffel symbols (multiply both sides by gασ to just get Γσμβδσσ=Γσμβ) and you have your usual expression for the Christoffel symbols in terms of the metric."

haushofer said:
-edit WannabeNewton makes index mistakes; just check the calculation in Carroll's notes.

Hmm...what index mistake? You just get [itex]\Gamma ^{\sigma }_{\mu \beta } = \frac{1}{2}g^{\alpha \sigma }(\partial _{\mu }g_{\alpha \beta } + \partial _{\beta }g_{\alpha \mu } - \partial _{\alpha }g_{\mu \beta })[/itex] and that's the usual expression.

Your "multiply both sides by [itex]g^{\alpha\sigma}[/itex]", while you already contract over the sigma index. It should read e.g. "multiply both sides by [itex]g^{\alpha\rho}[/itex]".

Last edited:
GRstudent said:
I didn't understand the last instruction "So you just solve for the Christoffel symbols (multiply both sides by gασ to just get Γσμβδσσ=Γσμβ) and you have your usual expression for the Christoffel symbols in terms of the metric."
Like I said, do the calculation yourself with your own indices. You only have to use that

[tex]
g^{\mu\nu}g_{\nu\rho} = \delta^{\mu}_{\rho}
[/tex]

Have you read Carroll's notes? The calculation is there stated very explicitly, and it doesn't get any more explicit than that I'm afraid. Just do the calculation yourself following the steps.

I have the feeling that you don't get the point of this calculation in the first place. What you want in GR is to write the connection in terms of the metric, such that it doesn't introduce new degrees of freedom. The geometry is then uniquely determined by the metric!

One way to achieve this is to put the covariant derivative of the metric to zero and to put the torsion to zero. There are pictures which make clear what this means for the geometry in every textbook on GR. Now, metric compatibility gives you

[tex]
D*\frac{1}{2}D(D+1)
[/tex]

conditions (why?). The connection has also this number of independent components (why?), and it appears only algebraically multiplied by a metric (which is invertable) in the metric compatibility condition. This means you can solve for it! The index permutation mentioned earlier and in Carroll notes gives you the solution for the connection.

The Riemann tensor then only depends on the metric, and that is the statement that the geometry is uniquely defined by the metric.

Last edited:
haushofer said:
Your "multiply both sides by [itex]g^{\alpha\sigma}[/itex]", while you already contract over the sigma index. It should read e.g. "multiply both sides by [itex]g^{\alpha\rho}[/itex]".

Oh I didn't see that. My bad.

GRstudent said:
\Gamma ^{\sigma }_{\mu \beta }\delta ^{\sigma}_{\sigma } = \Gamma ^{\sigma }_{\mu \beta }

What I should do next?

I think your main question has been answered. But if I may suggest, you can and should wrap your latex inside <tex> and </tex} tags, where you replace < by [ and > by ], so that it becomes formatted in a more readable way. i.e.

[tex]\Gamma ^{\sigma }_{\mu \beta }\delta ^{\sigma}_{\sigma } = \Gamma ^{\sigma }_{\mu \beta } [/tex]

(If this still doesn't make sense, try quoting the message, you should see how it's done).

Better yet is

\Gamma ^{\sigma }{}_{\mu \beta }\delta ^{\sigma}{}_{\sigma } = \Gamma ^{\sigma }{}_{\mu \beta }

which due to the added {} comes out as

[tex]
\Gamma ^{\sigma }{}_{\mu \beta }\delta ^{\sigma}{}_{\sigma } = \Gamma ^{\sigma }{}_{\mu \beta }
[/tex]

I understood the explanation in S. Caroll's notes! Thank you all!

Related to Covariant Derivative and metric tensor

1. What is a covariant derivative and why is it important in physics?

A covariant derivative is a mathematical tool used to measure how a vector field changes along a curved surface or space. It takes into account the curvature of the surface or space and allows for the differentiation of vector fields in a way that is consistent with the underlying geometry. It is important in physics because it is used to describe how particles and fields behave in curved spacetime, as predicted by Einstein's theory of general relativity.

2. How is the covariant derivative related to the metric tensor?

The covariant derivative is defined in terms of the metric tensor, which describes the geometric properties of a curved surface or space. Specifically, the metric tensor is used to raise and lower indices on vectors and tensors, which is necessary for calculating the covariant derivative. The metric tensor also determines the connection coefficients, which are used in the covariant derivative formula.

3. Can the covariant derivative be calculated in flat space?

Yes, the covariant derivative can be calculated in flat space. In this case, the metric tensor is simply the identity matrix and the connection coefficients are all equal to zero. Therefore, the covariant derivative simplifies to the standard partial derivative in flat space.

4. How is the covariant derivative used in Einstein's field equations?

The covariant derivative is used in Einstein's field equations to describe the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of matter and energy. The connection coefficients, which are calculated using the metric tensor, are used to determine the curvature of spacetime in the presence of matter. The result is a set of equations that relate the curvature of spacetime to the distribution of matter and energy.

5. What are some applications of the covariant derivative in physics?

The covariant derivative has many applications in physics, particularly in the fields of general relativity and differential geometry. It is used to describe the motion of particles and fields in curved spacetime, as well as the behavior of electromagnetic fields and other physical quantities in curved space. It is also used in the study of black holes, gravitational waves, and the large-scale structure of the universe.