Covariance betw scalar amplitude & spectral index in Planck?

In summary, the paper provides values for various inflationary parameters under various models, with their confidence intervals. The most interesting numbers are the scalar spectral index ns and the scalar amplitude As.
thecommexokid
I am reading some of "Planck 2013 results. XXII. Constraints on inflation."

The paper is full of values for various inflationary parameters under various models, with their confidence intervals. For instance, in Table 5 on page 13, the authors report that — for a model including both running of the scalar spectral index and running-of-the-running, and considering Planck+WMAP+BAO data — the best values for the running and running-of-the-running are
[tex]\frac{dn_s}{d\ln k}=0.000^{+0.016}_{-0.013}[/tex]
and
[tex]\frac{d^2n_s}{d\ln k^2}=0.017^{+0.016}_{-0.014},[/tex]
where the ±'s indicate 1σ confidence intervals.

But the individual confidence levels do not tell nearly the whole story, as we see in Figure 3 on page 14, which shows the exact boundaries of the joint 1σ and 2σ confidence interval:
r0PleJy.png

We see in this figure that the running and the running-of-the-running are quite highly correlated, so that you would be quite misled about the joint probabilities if you only had the individual confidence levels from Table 5 without the figure alongside.

Now the numbers I myself am actually interested in are the scalar spectral index ns, which the authors of the Planck paper report in Table 4 (Planck+WMAP+BAO):
[tex]n_s = 0.9643\pm 0.0059[/tex]
and the scalar amplitude As, which they report in Table 3 (Planck+WMAP):
[tex]\ln(10^{10}A_s) = 3.089^{+0.024}_{-0.027};[/tex]
again, the ±'s signify 68% confidence intervals.

What I am doing is to run various simulations with different initial parameters and compute the values of the scalar amplitude and spectral index they predict. I'd like to be able to make some statement about the likelihood of the prediction by comparing to the observed values given in the Planck paper.

Unfortunately, the Planck paper does not contain a plot for scalar amplitude vs. spectral index akin to the one I included above for the running-of-running vs. running. But I imagine that the uncertainties in As and ns are likewise quite correlated, and that simply treating As and ns as independent, skew-normally-distributed parameters is a poor approach.

Are there other Planck papers, or publicly available Planck data somewhere (or for that matter other sections of "XXII" — I freely admit I haven't read the whole thing), that would give me a sense of the shape of the joint confidence interval for As and ns?

Space news on Phys.org

Related to Covariance betw scalar amplitude & spectral index in Planck?

1. What is covariance between scalar amplitude and spectral index in Planck?

The covariance between scalar amplitude and spectral index in Planck refers to the statistical relationship between the two variables in the Planck spacecraft's measurements of the cosmic microwave background radiation. It measures how much these two variables vary together, and is an important factor in understanding the properties of the early universe.

2. How is the covariance between scalar amplitude and spectral index calculated?

The covariance between scalar amplitude and spectral index is calculated using statistical methods, specifically through the use of the covariance matrix. This matrix takes into account the individual measurements of both variables and their respective uncertainties, and produces a numerical value that represents the strength of the relationship between them.

3. What is the significance of the covariance between scalar amplitude and spectral index in Planck?

The covariance between scalar amplitude and spectral index is significant because it provides important information about the properties of the early universe. It can help us understand the overall structure and composition of the universe, as well as provide insights into theories such as inflation and the formation of large-scale structures.

4. How does the covariance between scalar amplitude and spectral index affect our understanding of the early universe?

The covariance between scalar amplitude and spectral index can affect our understanding of the early universe in several ways. It can help us determine the values of key parameters, such as the density of matter and dark energy, and can also provide insights into the processes that shaped the universe during its early stages.

5. Can the covariance between scalar amplitude and spectral index change over time?

Yes, the covariance between scalar amplitude and spectral index can change over time. This is because the universe is constantly evolving, and as new data and observations become available, our understanding of the relationship between these two variables may also change. Additionally, the measurements themselves may also improve or change, leading to updates in the calculated covariance value.