Coursework - Determining Resistivity

A) and voltage (V), but you are getting a tiny answer that doesn't seem right. Can someone help you figure out the correct answer?In summary, the person is trying to find the resistivity of a nichrome wire in an experiment. They have obtained the equation ρ/AxV = 6.4 and have values for V and A, but are unsure about the units. They are asking for help to solve the problem. 28 swg refers to the wire gauge.
coolnufc
Hi guys, I am trying to work out ρ in an experiment.

Ive got down to ρ/AxV = 6.4
I know V = 2 and A=0.0907mm, but it should be m.

If i then work it out i get a stupidly small answer. Anyone help me out. Its like 0.0016096

Physics news on Phys.org
It was nichrome wire (28 swg) i was using if that helps

So, what's the problem?
What is A, x and V? Why should it be m?
What does 28swg mean?

coolnufc said:
Hi guys, I am trying to work out ρ in an experiment.

Ive got down to ρ/AxV = 6.4
I know V = 2 and A=0.0907mm, but it should be m.

If i then work it out i get a stupidly small answer. Anyone help me out. Its like 0.0016096

I agree with Engineer -- you need to be much clearer in your question. It would have helped if you had used the Homework Help Template that you are provided when you start a new homework thread. Please try to re-phrase your question in the form of the template:

Related to Coursework - Determining Resistivity

1. What is resistivity and how is it different from resistance?

Resistivity is a measure of a material's ability to resist the flow of electric current. It is different from resistance in that resistance depends on the size and shape of the material, while resistivity is an intrinsic property of the material itself.

2. How is resistivity determined in coursework?

In coursework, resistivity is determined by measuring the resistance of a material and using its dimensions to calculate the resistivity value. This is typically done by using a multimeter to measure the resistance and a ruler to measure the length and cross-sectional area of the material.

3. What factors can affect the resistivity of a material?

The resistivity of a material can be affected by factors such as temperature, impurities, and the type of material. For example, as the temperature of a material increases, its resistivity also increases. Additionally, materials with higher impurity levels tend to have higher resistivity values.

4. How is resistivity related to conductivity?

Resistivity and conductivity are inversely related. This means that as the resistivity of a material increases, its conductivity decreases. Conductivity is the inverse of resistivity and is a measure of how easily a material can conduct electric current.

5. How is resistivity used in real-world applications?

Resistivity is an important property that is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in the design of electrical circuits, determining the quality of materials used in construction, and in the development of electronic devices. It is also used in geophysical surveys to map the subsurface and locate natural resources such as minerals and oil.