Coupling Spin-0 and spin-1 fields

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a 'combined' spin-1 and spin-0 field and whether it is possible to have a direct product state or a linear superposition. The speaker also asks for clarification on what is meant by 'combined' spin and if it is similar to a multi-particle wave function. The response suggests that a direct product state would be something like ##\Psi^{\mu}(x,y)=\phi(x) \psi^{\mu}(y)##.
PLANCKTHEORY
My question is, how does one get a wave function for a 'combined' spin-1 and a spin-0 field? How is this possible? I have only been able to find combined states for equal spin identical particles.

If you don't understand my question, I'll be glad to reword it.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean "combined spin 1 and spin 0"? A direct product state, or a linear superposition? The latter doesn't exist.

dextercioby said:
What do you mean "combined spin 1 and spin 0"? A direct product state, or a linear superposition? The latter doesn't exist.
Basically, if they were one object. I suppose like a multi particle wave function. What would the Direct product state be like?

PLANCKTHEORY said:
Basically, if they were one object. I suppose like a multi particle wave function. What would the Direct product state be like?
It would be something like
##\Psi^{\mu}(x,y)=\phi(x) \psi^{\mu}(y)##

Related to Coupling Spin-0 and spin-1 fields

1. What is the concept of "coupling" in the context of spin-0 and spin-1 fields?

Coupling refers to the interaction between different fields or particles. In the context of spin-0 and spin-1 fields, it describes the way these two types of fields interact with each other and exchange energy and momentum.

2. How do spin-0 and spin-1 fields couple in the Standard Model of particle physics?

In the Standard Model, spin-0 and spin-1 fields couple through the Higgs mechanism. The Higgs field gives mass to particles, and through this process, spin-0 and spin-1 fields can interact and exchange energy.

3. What is the significance of coupling spin-0 and spin-1 fields in particle physics?

Coupling spin-0 and spin-1 fields is essential for understanding the fundamental interactions between particles and the behavior of matter at the subatomic level. It plays a crucial role in the Standard Model and helps explain the properties of particles, such as mass and charge.

4. Can spin-0 and spin-1 fields couple with other types of fields?

Yes, spin-0 and spin-1 fields can also couple with other types of fields, such as spin-1/2 fields (fermions). This is known as fermion-scalar or fermion-vector coupling.

5. How is the coupling strength between spin-0 and spin-1 fields determined?

The coupling strength between spin-0 and spin-1 fields is determined by the properties of the particles involved, such as their charges and masses, and the strength of the interaction mediator (e.g., Higgs boson). It is also affected by the energy scale at which the particles are interacting.