Coupling between neutronic and thermalhydraulic codes

• Thread starter libertad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coupling
In summary, the conversation discussed the use of WIMS and CITATION as neutronic codes and COBRA as a thermalhydraulic code for steady-state simulations in a PWR system. The individual seeking information was looking for resources, papers, and tips on coupling these codes, and was also informed about the CASL program and a study on thermal hydraulics modeling in nuclear power plants.
libertad
Hi there,
I'm going to couple WIMS & CITATION as neutronic codes with COBRA as an thermalhydraulic code.
Please let me know if there is any resources, papers or tips and tricks to do so.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I suspect there isn't any references. I do know that various groups are attempting to couple nuclear and T/H codes, and some perhaps have in a crude way.

Is this for an LWR system? PWR, BWR or both?

Will the code be used for steady-state or transient simulations?

Astronuc said:
I suspect there isn't any references. I do know that various groups are attempting to couple nuclear and T/H codes, and some perhaps have in a crude way.

Is this for an LWR system? PWR, BWR or both?

Will the code be used for steady-state or transient simulations?

I want to use it for a PWR and the codes are used for steady-state calculations.

Hi Libertad
I have a peresentation(ppt) about coupling neutronic & thrmohydrolic codes(wims+citation+cobra). But I have not your mail to sending you.

FYI - CASL - Consortium for Advanced Simulation of Light Water Reactors (CASL)

http://www.ornl.gov/ornlhome/b_roll/casl.shtml

University of Tennessee - Knoxville will likely have a role in this program.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Coupling between neutronic and thermalhydraulic codes

1. What is the purpose of coupling between neutronic and thermalhydraulic codes?

The purpose of coupling between neutronic and thermalhydraulic codes is to create a more accurate and comprehensive simulation of nuclear reactor behavior. Neutronic codes simulate the neutron behavior in the reactor, while thermalhydraulic codes simulate the heat and fluid flow. By coupling these two codes, we can better understand the interaction between these two important aspects of nuclear reactor operation.

2. How does coupling between neutronic and thermalhydraulic codes improve reactor safety?

By coupling these two codes, we can more accurately predict the behavior of a nuclear reactor under various conditions and scenarios. This allows us to identify potential safety issues and make necessary changes to improve reactor safety. For example, coupling can help us understand how changes in the reactor's cooling system may affect the neutron behavior, and vice versa.

3. What are some challenges in coupling between neutronic and thermalhydraulic codes?

One major challenge is the different time scales at which neutrons and thermal fluids behave. Neutrons can move at the speed of light, while thermal fluids may take much longer to reach equilibrium. This requires careful consideration and adjustment of the coupling algorithms. Additionally, there may be differences in the spatial discretization and meshing between the two codes, which must be accounted for in the coupling process.

4. How is information exchanged between the neutronic and thermalhydraulic codes during coupling?

The information exchange between the two codes is typically done through a shared memory or a file interface. In a shared memory approach, the two codes run simultaneously and exchange data through a common data structure. In a file interface approach, the codes run separately and exchange data by reading and writing to a file. Both approaches have advantages and disadvantages, and the choice depends on the specific coupling methodology being used.

5. In what applications is coupling between neutronic and thermalhydraulic codes commonly used?

Coupling between neutronic and thermalhydraulic codes is commonly used in the design and analysis of nuclear reactors. It is particularly important in the design of advanced nuclear reactors, which may have complex geometries and operating conditions that require the coupling of these two aspects. It can also be used in research and development of new reactor technologies, as well as in safety studies and accident analysis.