Coupled Differential Equations: How Do They Depend on Each Other?

In summary, the conversation is about using the Runge-Kutta method to solve a differential equation y''=sin(3y(t)), t>=0. The problem involves reexpressing the equation into coupled first order equations and using the first order Runge-Kutta method. The conversation includes a discussion on how to properly set up the equations and how they are "coupled" together. The final equations for the Runge-Kutta method are also provided. The speaker is still trying to fully understand the process and is seeking clarification.
Jwill
I have a large project involving Runge Kutta numerical solutions of differential equations. I understand the Runge Kutta method and I've done it before, but my problem involves taking the differential equation

y''=sin(3y(t)), t>=0

and reexpressing this IVP into coupled first order equations. I have seen examples where people have done something similar like set

z'=sin(3y(t))
y'=z

and there is a guy in my class that swears that this is right, but frankly that doesn't make sense to me in this case. If someone could help me understand how to do this correctly, I feel like I have a decent understanding of the numerical solution method. I have been asked to use the first order Runge Kutta method, but I have never used this method with coupled equations that looks anything like this...

Physics news on Phys.org
Why doesn't it make sense to you? If y'= z, and z'= sin(3y) then y"= z'= sin(3y) as you want.

In order to use Runge-Kutta on this problem do two simultaneous solutions, solving for both y and z at each step, then using the new values of y and z in the next step.

If that is correct then I must not understand how to do the stage constants for the iteration.

If
[tex]\frac{dz}{dt} = sin(3y(t)) [/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt} = z [/tex]

then

[tex]\frac{dz}{dt} = f[t, y(t)] [/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt} = f[t, z(t)] [/tex]

(I think)

How are they "coupled" in that I don't see that they have a dependency on each other. I understand the runge kutta method when they have a dependency on each other, but how does solving for z or y help you solve for the other?... I don't see how the stage constants rely on each other.

I would understand if it was

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt} = f[t, y(t), z(t)] [/tex]

[tex]\frac{dz}{dt} = F[t, y(t), z(t)] [/tex]

If you could help me understand this, I'd appreciate it. It would make since if y and z were in both first order equations.

Well... anyway my attempt at this was:

[tex]k1 = z_{i}[/tex]

[tex]l1 = sin(3.*(y_{i}));[/tex]

[tex]k2 = z_{i}+\frac{h}{2}*l1[/tex]

[tex]l2 = sin(3*(y_{i}+\frac{h}{2}*k1))[/tex]

[tex]k3 = z_{i}+\frac{h}{2}*l2[/tex]

[tex]l3 = sin(3*(y_{i}+\frac{h}{2}*k2))[/tex]

[tex]k4 = z_{i}+h*l2[/tex]

[tex]l4 = sin(3*(y_{i}+h*k2))[/tex]

[tex]z_{i+1} = z_{i} + \frac{h}{6}*(l1+2*l2+2*l3+l4)[/tex]

[tex]y_{i+1} = y_{i} + \frac{h}{6}*(k1+2*k2+2*k3+k4)[/tex]

I doubt this is correct... In the event that it is, could someone explain it to me better. Either way, I would like to understand this.

Jwill said:
If that is correct then I must not understand how to do the stage constants for the iteration.

If
[tex]\frac{dz}{dt} = sin(3y(t)) [/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt} = z [/tex]

then

[tex]\frac{dz}{dt} = f[t, y(t)] [/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt} = f[t, z(t)] [/tex]

(I think)

How are they "coupled" in that I don't see that they have a dependency on each other. I understand the runge kutta method when they have a dependency on each other, but how does solving for z or y help you solve for the other?... I don't see how the stage constants rely on each other.

I would understand if it was

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt} = f[t, y(t), z(t)] [/tex]

[tex]\frac{dz}{dt} = F[t, y(t), z(t)] [/tex]

If you could help me understand this, I'd appreciate it. It would make since if y and z were in both first order equations.
As I have said in another forum, you are right. The first pair of equations is incorrect, the second pair is correct.

Related to Coupled Differential Equations: How Do They Depend on Each Other?

1. What are coupled first order equations?

Coupled first order equations are a set of two or more first order differential equations that are interconnected and dependent on each other. These equations are typically used to model complex systems that involve multiple interacting variables.

2. How do you solve coupled first order equations?

There are several methods for solving coupled first order equations, including substitution, elimination, and the method of undetermined coefficients. The specific method used will depend on the form of the equations and the desired outcome.

3. What is the significance of coupled first order equations in science?

Coupled first order equations are widely used in various scientific fields, such as physics, biology, and engineering. They are particularly useful for modeling dynamic systems and understanding the relationships between different variables in a system.

4. Can coupled first order equations be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, coupled first order equations have numerous real-world applications. For example, they can be used to model the interactions between predator and prey populations, the spread of diseases in a population, and the dynamics of chemical reactions.

5. What are some common challenges when working with coupled first order equations?

One of the main challenges when working with coupled first order equations is determining the initial conditions and finding a suitable method for solving the equations. It can also be difficult to interpret the solutions and understand the implications of the relationships between the variables in a given system.