Counting Seconds to Estimate Storm Distance

In summary, the conversation was about a cool weather day with scattered showers. The wife was counting the seconds between lightning and thunder to estimate the distance of a storm, but the husband argued that nothing can travel faster than the speed of sound. They then playfully teased each other about being stupid and made a joke about the Hoover vacuum's suction power.
Jimmy Snyder
We got some cool weather today along with some scattered showers. My wife was sitting there in deep concentration so I asked her what she was thinking. She said she was counting the seconds between the lighting flash and the thunder. She said that the light gets here much faster than the sound and you can estimate the distance to the storm by measuring the difference. I said that it wouldn't work since A. Einstein proved that nothing can travel faster than the speed of sound in a vacuum, and how stupid she was to say such a thing. I'm not half as stupid as you are she remarked. Oh yes you are said I. She had no comeback for that zinger and so she just sat there with a sheepish grin on her face.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just tell her you were drunk and you're sorry and it'll be ok.

After she thinks about that one for a while you are going to be in trouble.

Yes, nothing can exceed the Hoover velocity.

Then there's the Hoover radius, within which no dust particle can pass without being sucked permanently into a black bag.

jtbell said:
Then there's the Hoover radius, within which no dust particle can pass without being sucked permanently into a black bag.

It was a real Eureka moment when they discovered that one!

Related to Counting Seconds to Estimate Storm Distance

1. How accurate is counting seconds to estimate storm distance?

Counting seconds to estimate storm distance is a fairly accurate method, but it is not 100% accurate. The accuracy depends on how well one can estimate the speed of sound and the distance of the storm.

2. What is the science behind counting seconds to estimate storm distance?

Sound travels at a speed of approximately 343 meters per second in air. When we see lightning, it takes a certain amount of time for the sound of thunder to reach us. By counting the seconds between seeing the lightning and hearing the thunder, we can estimate the distance of the storm.

3. Can counting seconds to estimate storm distance work for all types of storms?

Yes, counting seconds to estimate storm distance can work for all types of storms, as long as there is lightning and thunder present. This method can be used for thunderstorms, hurricanes, and other types of storms.

4. Is counting seconds to estimate storm distance a reliable method?

Counting seconds to estimate storm distance is a reliable method, but it should not be the only method used to determine the distance of a storm. It is always best to use multiple methods, such as radar and weather reports, to get a more accurate estimation.

5. How far away should I be from a storm before I start counting seconds?

It is recommended to be at least 6 miles away from a storm before starting to count seconds. This is because the sound of thunder may not be audible if you are too close to the storm.