Counter ramp adc conversion time

In summary, the conversation is discussing the conversion time for an ADC counter ramp, specifically the time between the start and stop of the signal conversion. The question is also asked if the conversion time for a bi-directional counter ramp ADC is half that of a uni-directional counter ramp ADC. The conversation concludes by requesting formulas or literature on the topic.
MarAlja
I know that the conversion time for an adc counter ramp is the time between the start and stop of the signal conversion, but how do i calculate this time? Also is the conversion time for the bi-directional counter ramp adc 1/2 that of the uni-directional counter ramp adc? Could someone kindly provide me with some formulas of helpful literature? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
MarAlja said:
I know that the conversion time for an adc counter ramp is the time between the start and stop of the signal conversion, but how do i calculate this time? Also is the conversion time for the bi-directional counter ramp adc 1/2 that of the uni-directional counter ramp adc? Could someone kindly provide me with some formulas of helpful literature? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the PF.

The wikipedia article on ADCs is a pretty good introduction:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog-to-digital_converter

Although I didn't see Dual-Slope ADCs mentioned there. (I could have missed it though.)

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/How-Analog-to-Digital-Converter-ADC-Works/317/8

Ah, it's in a separate article at wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrating_ADC

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Counter ramp adc conversion time

1. What is a counter ramp ADC?

A counter ramp ADC, also known as a successive approximation ADC, is a type of analog-to-digital converter that converts an analog signal into a digital representation by generating a ramp voltage and comparing it to the input signal. The process involves a digital counter that counts the number of clock cycles it takes to reach the input voltage, providing a digital output.

2. How does a counter ramp ADC conversion work?

The conversion process of a counter ramp ADC involves generating a ramp voltage and comparing it to the input signal using a comparator. The comparator output is then fed into a digital-to-analog converter (DAC) that generates a new voltage based on the comparator's output. This process continues until the DAC output matches the input voltage, at which point the digital counter stops counting and outputs the digital representation of the input signal.

3. What is the conversion time of a counter ramp ADC?

The conversion time of a counter ramp ADC is determined by the number of clock cycles it takes to reach the input voltage. The more precise the input signal needs to be, the longer the conversion time will be. Typically, a counter ramp ADC has a conversion time of a few microseconds.

4. What are the advantages of using a counter ramp ADC?

One of the main advantages of a counter ramp ADC is its simplicity and low-cost compared to other types of ADCs. It also has a higher resolution and accuracy than other types of ADCs, making it suitable for applications that require precise measurements. Additionally, counter ramp ADCs have a relatively fast conversion time, making them suitable for high-speed applications.

5. What are the limitations of a counter ramp ADC?

One limitation of a counter ramp ADC is its susceptibility to noise and interference. Since the conversion process relies on comparing voltages, any external noise can affect the accuracy of the conversion. Additionally, counter ramp ADCs are not suitable for converting rapidly changing signals, as they require multiple clock cycles to reach the input voltage.