Coulomb's Law question - find initial charge

In summary, the question is asking for the initial charge q1 on the first sphere in a system where two identical spheres with q1>0 and |q1| > |q2| attract each other with a force of magnitude 55.4 mN, are then brought together and placed in electrical contact, and then moved apart again where they now repel each other with a force of magnitude 6.648 mN. The solution involves using the equations F = k*|q1*q2|/r^2 and q1 = q + Δq, and solving for Δq. The final value for q1 can then be obtained by plugging in the value for Δq into equation 3.
kheila
[SOLVED] Coulomb's Law question - find initial charge

Homework Statement

Two identical small metal spheres with q1>0 and |q1| > |q2| attract each other with a force of magnitude 55.4 mN. They are separated by a distance of 3.94 m. The radius of each sphere is 40 micro-Newtons.

The spheres are then brought together until they are touching. At this point, the spheres are in electrical contact so that the charges can move from one sphere to the other until both spheres have the same final charge, q.

After the charges on the spheres have come to equilibrium, the spheres are moved so that they are 3.94 m apart again. Now the spheres repel each other with a force of magnitude 6.648 mN.

The Coulomb constant k is 8.98755x10^9 N*m^2/C^2.

What is the initial charge q1 on the first sphere?

Homework Equations

F = k*|q1*q2|/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I can get as far as figuring out the TOTAL initial charge of q1*q2. That's easy: |q1*q2| = F*r^2/k. What stumps me is how I can figure out what only ONE of them is -- the problem states that they're not equal, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get an exact number. I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that first, they are attracted to one another and then they repel after reaching equilibrium.

----EDIT 2/10-----
OK, here's what I've done since I posted, it's still not giving me the right answer, though.

Before touching:
F1 = k * |q1*q2| / r^2

After touching:
F2 = k * q^2 / r^2 (where q is the charge on each of the spheres, since they both have the same charge)

The initial charge on q1 is equal to the final charge on q plus the change in charge; that is,
q1 = q + Δq
Similarly, q2 = q - Δq

Now solve for Δq:
F1 = k * |q1*q2|/r^2
Rearranging and replacing q1 and q2,
F1 * r^2 / k = | (q/2 + Δq)*(q/2 - Δq) |
= | (q/2)^2 - (Δq)^2 |

This means that F1*r^2/k is equal to either (q/2)^2 - (Δq)^2 or (Δq)^2 - (q/2)^2, due to the absolute value signs.

This yields two possible values for Δq. The second one I get is greater than the value for q, so I assume this is a 'garbage' value (because this would mean that q2 = q - Δq would yield a negative value, which makes no sense in this situation) so I use the first value I get for Δq.

Then, I solve for q1: q1 = q + Δq. However, this answer is wrong.

-----EDIT again, 2/10-----

OK, got it. Here's what I did:

EQUATION 1: F1 = k * |q1*q2| / r^2
EQUATION 2: F2 = k * q^2 / r^2 (where q is the charge in one of the spheres -- they are equal. Absolute value signs are left out since they are redundant, as q is squared)

EQUATION 3: q1 = q/2 + Δq
(In words, the initial charge for q1 is equal to the final charge of q1 plus however much charge left q1 when the spheres touched).

EQUATION 4: q2 = q/2 - Δq
(In words, the initial charge for q2 is equal to the final charge of q2 minus however much charge it gained when the spheres touched).

Replace q1 and q2 in equation 1 with their values from equations 3 and 4:

F1 = k * | (q/2 + Δq)*(q/2 + Δq) | /r^2

Rearrange this equation to bring k and r to the other side, and expand what's inside the abs. value signs:

F1 * r^2 / k = | (q/2)^2 - (Δq)^2 |

Now, the left side of the equation can be equal to two possible things (because of the abs. value signs):

-[(q/2)^2 - (Δq)^2] or +[(q/2)^2 - (Δq)^2]

Expanding: (Δq)^2 - (q/2)^2 or (q/2)^2 - (Δq)^2

Set each of these equal to F1 * r^2 /k and solve for Δq. The first one yields a non-real result (Δq^2 = -8.40899528017e-11...you can't take the square root of a negative number) so the correct one to use is the second:

F1 * r^2 /k = (q/2)^2 - (Δq)^2

Plugging in the values for F1, r^2, k, and q, and solving for Δq, I get Δq=1.0357970386e-5.

Now plug this value into equation 3 to get the value for q1.

Hope this solution helps anyone else who's stuck on a problem like this!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have the final answer this by any chance?

Nope, still working on it...

Related to Coulomb's Law question - find initial charge

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the force of attraction or repulsion between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How do you calculate the initial charge using Coulomb's Law?

To calculate the initial charge using Coulomb's Law, you will need to know the force between two charged particles, the distance between them, and the value of the constant of proportionality, which is 8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2. The initial charge can be calculated by rearranging the equation F = k(q1q2)/r^2 to solve for q1 or q2.

3. What units are used for charge in Coulomb's Law?

The SI unit for charge is Coulomb (C). However, in some cases, charge may be expressed in other units such as microCoulombs (μC) or nanoCoulombs (nC).

4. Can Coulomb's Law be used to calculate the force between non-point charges?

Yes, Coulomb's Law can be used to calculate the force between non-point charges as long as the charges are spherically symmetric and the distance between them is much larger than their size. In such cases, the non-point charges can be treated as point charges for the purposes of calculating the force.

5. How does the force between two charges change as the distance between them increases?

According to Coulomb's Law, the force between two charges decreases as the distance between them increases. This is because the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charges. As the distance increases, the force decreases exponentially.