Coulomb's Law and point charges

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of the angle θ between two point charges on 1.0-m-long threads that repel each other after being charged to q = 120nC. The equations used to solve for θ are Fx = -Tsinθ+Felectric and Fy = Tcosθ - mg, as well as Coulomb's Law. It is suggested to make a right triangle to determine r and use the approximation that θ is a small angle. The final equation is (sinθ)^2*(tanθ) = kq^2/(4mg) and the solution is found using a grapher or by solving algebraically.
absolutezer0es
Two m = 6.0g point charges on 1.0-m-long threads repel each other after being charged to q = 120nC , as shown in the figure.

What is the angle θ? You can assume that θ is a small angle.

25_P58.jpg

Hopefully the image will work.

I feel like something is missing. I've gotten 7.4 and 3.4 degrees - both wrong. I know the sum of the forces in all directions must equal zero. My equations then are:

Fx = -Tsinθ+Felectric
Fy = Tcosθ - mg

We know m, g, and q. I know that coulomb's law is:

F = Kq^2/r^2 ... but we don't know r.

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are given the length of the string and the angle. Do you see a right triangle you could make in order to determine r?

Ah, yes ... a little clearer now.

So sinθ = r/1 = r. Alright let me run with that. Let's see if I can get it now.

Thanks for the nudge!

Wait! Are you sure ##\sin{\theta}=r##? Remember ##r## is the distance between the charges...

When I replied, I realized I made a mistake, like you said. It's not r, but rather r/2!

I was able to boil down the equation to:

(sinθ)^2*(tanθ) = kq^2/(4mg)

I'm pretty sure you can't boil it down anymore than that, so I used my old grapher to find the intersection point between both sides.

Got it!

Thanks a ton Zeta! I appreciate the insight!

absolutezer0es said:
When I replied, I realized I made a mistake, like you said. It's not r, but rather r/2!

I was able to boil down the equation to:

(sinθ)^2*(tanθ) = kq^2/(4mg)

I'm pretty sure you can't boil it down anymore than that, so I used my old grapher to find the intersection point between both sides.

Got it!

Thanks a ton Zeta! I appreciate the insight!
You can actually do it withOUT using a graph. Note the hint: you may assume that the angle is small. In that approximation, what can you say about ## \tan \theta ## and ##\sin \theta ## ?

nrqed said:
You can actually do it withOUT using a graph. Note the hint: you may assume that the angle is small. In that approximation, what can you say about ## \tan \theta ## and ##\sin \theta ## ?
Can you help? I worked through this and plugged my numbers in but when I try to solve for theta I don't get any kind of real number. Here's what I put in Wolfram Alpha:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?...*(8*10^-9)^2/(4*4*10^-3*9.8)+for+x+in+degrees

Thanks!

danielhep said:
Can you help? I worked through this and plugged my numbers in but when I try to solve for theta I don't get any kind of real number. Here's what I put in Wolfram Alpha:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=(sin(x))^2*tan(x)=8.99*10^9*(8*10^-9)^2/(4*4*10^-3*9.8)+for+x+in+degrees

Thanks!
Wolfram says:

upload_2017-3-10_4-10-49.png

Can you explain those numbers? I recognize k and g but the rest is a mystery given the data in the problem statement of post #1.

If you are actually working on a different problem with different data please start a new thread of your own. Hijacking old threads is against the rules.

Related to Coulomb's Law and point charges

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of electrostatics that explains the relationship between two point charges. It states that the force of attraction or repulsion between two charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. What are point charges?

Point charges are hypothetical particles with a finite amount of electric charge that are considered to have no physical size or shape. They are often used in theoretical physics to simplify calculations and understand the behavior of electric fields and forces.

3. How is Coulomb's Law used in real-world applications?

Coulomb's Law is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as calculating the force between two charged particles in an atom, predicting the behavior of electric charges in electronic devices, and understanding the forces involved in lightning strikes.

4. What is the difference between positive and negative charges in Coulomb's Law?

In Coulomb's Law, positive and negative charges have opposite signs and therefore attract each other, while two charges with the same sign will repel each other. The magnitude of the force also depends on the sign of the charges, with opposite charges having a greater attraction force than like charges.

5. How does the distance between two charges affect the force according to Coulomb's Law?

According to Coulomb's Law, the force between two charges decreases as the distance between them increases. This is because the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance, meaning that as the distance increases, the force decreases at a faster rate.