Coulomb Gauge invariance, properties of Lambda

In summary, a gauge transformation is a transformation that leaves fields invariant. In the Coulomb gauge, the function Lambda must satisfy the wave equation in order for both A and A' to satisfy the gauge condition. This is because the Coulomb gauge requires the divergence of A to be zero, and the given equation for A in terms of A' and Lambda can be used to solve for Lambda using the wave equation.
tylerscott

Homework Statement

A gauge transformation is defined so as to leave the fields invariant. The gauge transformations are such that [itex]\vec{A}=\vec{A'}+\nabla\Lambda[/itex] and [itex]\Phi=\Phi'-\frac{\partial\Lambda}{\partial t}[/itex]. Consider the Coulomb Gauge [itex]\nabla\cdot\vec{A}=0[/itex]. Find out what properties the function [itex]\Lambda[/itex] must satisfy in order for the Coulomb Gauge to be satisfied.

Homework Equations

Lorentz Gauge Condition
[itex]\nabla\vec{A}+\frac{1}{c^{2}}\frac{\partial\Phi}{\partial t}=0[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\nabla\cdot\vec{A}=\nabla\left(\vec{A'}+\nabla\Lambda\right)=0[/itex]
[itex]\nabla\cdot\vec{A'}+\nabla^{2}\Lambda=0[/itex]
so
[itex]\nabla\cdot\vec{A'}+\nabla^{2}\Lambda+\frac{1}{c^{2}}\frac{\partial }{\partial t}(\Phi'-\frac{\partial\Lambda}{\partial t})=0[/itex]
and
[itex]\nabla\cdot\vec{A'}+\frac{1}{c^{2}}\frac{\partial\Phi'}{\partial t}=\frac{1}{c^{2}}\frac{\partial^{2}\Lambda}{\partial t^{2}}-\nabla^{2}\Lambda[/itex]

So in order for these to be invariant, [itex]\frac{1}{c^{2}}\frac{\partial^{2}\Lambda}{\partial t^{2}}-\nabla^{2}\Lambda=0[/itex]

So [itex]\Lambda[/itex] must satisfy wave equation.

Now, I feel like I'm missing some of the properties of the gauge, so any help into more insight into [itex]\Lambda[/itex] would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You shouldn't be solving for the Lorentz gauge. The question only mentions the Coulomb gauge. That is the one you need to satisfy. The question says:
[tex]\vec{A}=\vec{A'}+\nabla\Lambda[/tex]
So from here, if you want both A and A' to satisfy the Coulomb gauge, then what does that tell you about lambda? (I'll admit, the question wasn't very specific about what it was asking for).

I don't think I understand what that tells me about lambda... More insight please? Haha

If a general vector V is going to satisfy the Coulomb gauge, then you need:
[tex]\nabla \cdot \vec{V} = 0 [/tex]
right, and the question is saying that it wants both A and A' to satisfy the Coulomb gauge. Also they give you the equation:
[tex]\vec{A}=\vec{A'}+\nabla\Lambda[/tex]
So using the given information, can you get an equation that contains only lambda (not A or A').

Also, I'm not sure if the properties of \Lambda have to do with Coulomb's Law (electric force between two charges), but if they do, then I would say that \Lambda must satisfy the condition that the potential between two charges is inversely proportional to the distance between them, as this is a fundamental property of Coulomb's Law. Additionally, \Lambda must also satisfy the Lorentz gauge condition, which ensures that the equations of motion are invariant under Lorentz transformations.

Related to Coulomb Gauge invariance, properties of Lambda

1. What is Coulomb Gauge invariance?

Coulomb Gauge invariance is a principle in electromagnetism that states the electric potential should be gauge invariant. This means that the electric potential should remain the same regardless of the choice of gauge.

2. How is Coulomb Gauge invariance related to Maxwell's equations?

Coulomb Gauge invariance is a result of Maxwell's equations, specifically Gauss's law for electricity. This law states that the divergence of the electric field is equal to the charge density. In Coulomb Gauge, this means that the electric potential must satisfy Poisson's equation, which is derived from Maxwell's equations.

3. What are the properties of Lambda in Coulomb Gauge invariance?

Lambda, also known as the gauge fixing parameter, is a constant that is introduced in the Coulomb Gauge to make the electric potential gauge invariant. It is a free parameter that can be chosen arbitrarily, as long as it is not equal to zero.

4. How does Coulomb Gauge invariance affect the behavior of electromagnetic fields?

Coulomb Gauge invariance ensures that the electric potential remains unchanged under a gauge transformation, which in turn affects the behavior of electromagnetic fields. This means that the electric and magnetic fields are also gauge invariant, and their behavior is determined by the gauge-invariant Maxwell's equations.

5. Why is Coulomb Gauge invariance important in theoretical physics?

Coulomb Gauge invariance is an important concept in theoretical physics because it allows for the simplification of calculations and the elimination of unphysical solutions. It also helps to better understand the fundamental principles of electromagnetism and how they relate to other areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics and relativity.