Could Walking Like a Gorilla Increase Strength?

In summary: as an example- the human spine has a lot of curves and prominences which would make it much more difficult to support a large weight on it than a gorilla's.
Alanay
I was just thinking while watching the Zookeeper movie. If a child is born and we teach it how to move on it's legs and knuckles instead of just it's legs would it end up being a great deal stronger than people it's age? I think the most weight ever lifted by man was 450 KG, and an average gorilla male can life up to 2000 KG. Would this also have any negative impacts on the spine etc.?

Biology news on Phys.org
Alanay said:
I was just thinking while watching the Zookeeper movie. If a child is born and we teach it how to move on it's legs and knuckles instead of just it's legs would it end up being a great deal stronger than people it's age? I think the most weight ever lifted by man was 450 KG, and an average gorilla male can life up to 2000 KG. Would this also have any negative impacts on the spine etc.?
Gorillas walk the way they do because of their body proportions. Look at how much muscle mass they have compared to their height. That's where their strength comes from. A human trying to walk that way will not gain strength by virtue of the position (or as close as we can come to it), IMO.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4011/4530705035_d759182cfd_b.jpg
4530705035_d759182cfd_b.jpg

berkeman said:
Gorillas walk the way they do because of their body proportions. Look at how much muscle mass they have compared to their height. That's where their strength comes from. A human trying to walk that way will not gain strength by virtue of the position (or as close as we can come to it), IMO.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4011/4530705035_d759182cfd_b.jpg
4530705035_d759182cfd_b.jpg

Yeah, I guess even if we try a large amount of weight will still be put on legs, maybe if somebody is born with shorter legs we could try this...

The comparative differences in strength between humans and other hominids doesn't have anything to do with our gait. Multiple studies have observed that chimps, bonobos and gorillas have naturally superior muscles to us though the exact mechanism is still not entirely understood. There are some theories that humans evolved for more fine muscle control over raw strength, these cite observable differences in our nervous system and complement of muscles (I.e. More given over to fine control). You can read more from these references which themselves contain references to other studies:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1635523/
http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/10.1086/592023

Whilst there are some theories that the strength differences come from daily life (I.e more active lives of primates versus humans) that's not a very popular theory as it doesn't explain how other primates have been observed to out perform top athletes. Thus the difference is much more likely thought to be genetic, so even if you did raise a short legged human to walk like a gorilla (leaving aside for the moment how incredibly unethical that would be and would still be statistically meaningless given its only n=1) they would not be as strong as other primates.

Likes Alanay
I think that that the skeletal structure would be a BIG giveaway about muscle and load bearing. http://www.upright-health.com/pelvic-anatomy.html

uprightposture.jpg

Likes Alanay, jim mcnamara and Drakkith

Related to Could Walking Like a Gorilla Increase Strength?

1. How does walking like a gorilla increase strength?

Walking like a gorilla, also known as "knuckle-walking," forces you to engage your upper body muscles, including your arms, shoulders, and chest, in a way that is similar to a gorilla's natural movement. This repeated use of these muscles can lead to an increase in strength over time.

2. Is walking like a gorilla a good form of exercise?

Walking like a gorilla can be a great form of exercise for building strength and improving overall fitness. However, it may not be suitable for everyone, as it can be quite strenuous and may put strain on certain muscles and joints. It's always best to consult with a doctor or fitness professional before starting any new exercise routine.

3. How often should I walk like a gorilla to see results?

The frequency of walking like a gorilla will vary for each individual depending on their current fitness level and goals. It's generally recommended to start slowly and gradually increase the duration and intensity of the exercise. Consistency is key, so aim to incorporate it into your regular workout routine at least 2-3 times a week.

4. Can walking like a gorilla help with weight loss?

Walking like a gorilla can contribute to weight loss as it is a form of cardiovascular exercise that can help burn calories and increase muscle mass. However, it should be combined with a healthy diet and other forms of exercise for best results.

5. Are there any potential risks or injuries associated with walking like a gorilla?

As with any form of exercise, there is always a risk of injury if not done properly. Walking like a gorilla can put strain on the wrists, shoulders, and back, so it's important to maintain proper form and listen to your body. If you experience any pain or discomfort, stop the exercise and consult with a professional.