Cosmic Ray Muons: Finding Experimental Data for Special Relativity

In summary, As a high school student researching special relativity and cosmic ray muons, Nicklas is looking for raw data on cosmic ray muons. While the data is not easily accessible or public, the Mt. Washington muon experiment and the mu meson category may be helpful. Additionally, the classic article by Rossi and Hall and an online simulator from the King's Center for Visualization in Science could provide summary data and a chance to re-run the experiment.
rnielsen25
Hi everyone,

I'm current working on a project about special relativity, and i was thinking writing about the cosmic ray muons. But where do i, as a high school student get raw data of cosmic ray muons?
I have searched quite a bit, but it doesn't seems like data like that is public and easy accesible, as astronomical data.

Regards Nicklas

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried looking for the Mt Washington muon experiment?
Maybe also under "mu meson"?

Which data exactly do you want?

Here is a link to a classic article by Rossi and Hall. It has summary data from their experiments.

http://www.physics.princeton.edu/~mcdonald/examples/EP/rossi_pr_59_223_41.pdf

Here is a link to an online simulator from the King's Center for Visualization in Science that let's you re-run the Rossi and Hall experiment.

http://www.kcvs.ca/site/projects/specialRelativity.html

Likes vanhees71

Related to Cosmic Ray Muons: Finding Experimental Data for Special Relativity

1. What are cosmic ray muons?

Cosmic ray muons are subatomic particles that originate from high-energy interactions in space and constantly rain down on Earth from the upper atmosphere. They are similar to electrons but with a larger mass and shorter lifespan.

2. How are cosmic ray muons used to study special relativity?

Cosmic ray muons have the unique ability to travel at near-light speeds, making them ideal for studying the effects of special relativity. By measuring their decay rates and comparing them to their expected decay rates at rest, scientists can verify Einstein's theory of special relativity.

3. Where can I find experimental data on cosmic ray muons and special relativity?

There are several online databases and research papers that provide experimental data on cosmic ray muons and their role in special relativity. One example is the Particle Data Group's website, which offers a comprehensive database of particle properties and experimental data.

4. How is the data collected for studying cosmic ray muons?

There are several methods for collecting data on cosmic ray muons. Some experiments use specialized detectors placed on the Earth's surface to measure the particles as they pass through. Others use high-altitude balloons or satellites to collect data from the upper atmosphere. The collected data is then analyzed and compared to theoretical predictions.

5. What are some applications of studying cosmic ray muons and special relativity?

Studying cosmic ray muons and special relativity has many practical applications, such as improving the accuracy of GPS systems and understanding the behavior of high-energy particles in space. It also helps us gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe and how they govern the behavior of particles.