Correcting Integration of tan^5x: Differentiating and Verifying the Solution

• Thread starter youmei0426
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation discusses the correct method for solving an integral, which involves using the identity ##\sec^2(x) = \tan^2(x) + 1##. The answer provided by the user is correct, but differs from the posted answer by a constant. The user is advised to write their answer in a specific format and can verify its correctness by differentiating it.
youmei0426
Homework Statement
find the integration of (tanx)^5
Relevant Equations
-
This is my working out, and I also included the correct answer in the last line. The answer used a different method, however, what did I do wrong with my method? Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• 1555173603524.png
    1555173603524.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 261
Physics news on Phys.org
##1 = \cos^2(x) + \sin^2(x)##

youmei0426 said:
This is my working out, and I also included the correct answer in the last line. The answer used a different method, however, what did I do wrong with my method?
Your answer is also correct. You can verify that your answer is correct by differentiating it, which should result in the original integrand.

You should write your answer as ##\frac 1 4 \sec^4(x) - \sec^2(x) - \ln|\cos(x)| + C##
If you use the identity ##\sec^2(x) = \tan^2(x) + 1## on your answer, you should see that your answer and the posted answer differ only by a constant.

Mark44 said:
Your answer is also correct. You can verify that your answer is correct by differentiating it, which should result in the original integrand.

You should write your answer as ##\frac 1 4 \sec^4(x) - \sec^2(x) - \ln|\cos(x)| + C##
If you use the identity ##\sec^2(x) = \tan^2(x) + 1## on your answer, you should see that your answer and the posted answer differ only by a constant.
Aah i see now, thanks a lot!

Related to Correcting Integration of tan^5x: Differentiating and Verifying the Solution

1. What is the integration problem of tan^5x?

The integration problem of tan^5x is a type of indefinite integral that involves finding the antiderivative of the function tan^5x. This means finding a function whose derivative is equal to tan^5x.

2. How do you solve the integration problem of tan^5x?

The integration problem of tan^5x can be solved using various techniques, such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. The specific method used will depend on the given function and the skills of the person solving the problem.

3. Why is the integration problem of tan^5x considered difficult?

The integration problem of tan^5x is considered difficult because it involves integrating a higher power of a trigonometric function, which can be challenging and require multiple steps. It also requires a good understanding of integration techniques and trigonometric identities.

4. Can the integration problem of tan^5x be solved using a calculator?

No, the integration problem of tan^5x cannot be solved using a calculator. It requires a person to use their knowledge and skills in integration to find the antiderivative of the function. However, a calculator can be used to check the solution or to help with certain steps of the integration process.

5. What are some real-life applications of the integration problem of tan^5x?

The integration problem of tan^5x has various real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, in physics, it can be used to calculate the work done by a force in moving an object along a curved path. In economics, it can be used to calculate the total profit or loss of a business over a certain period of time.